Author Topic: photo shoot  (Read 4505 times)

peterm

photo shoot
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:10:43 »
I have done several of these in the past.  I find the amount of money spent astouding on pictures for those catalogs you toss away. The cars are the least of it- catering, venue rental, asistants, security etc etc

Did a Tommy shoot yesterday-  I dropped it off rather than hang around for 10 hours and when i picked it up the trunk is really scuffed on what was a pristine paint job-  Not sure if they had models sitting on it or what-  quite frustrating.  Ive done this before without ever having an issue.  I know my agency is insured and will make it right I suspect a good wet sand or compund will fix it- but warning if you do these events stay with your car because the "renters" really dont care

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
Re: photo shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:29:07 »
I would be royally pissed off if that happened to me!

I am a Realtor and sell country properties in Ontario.  From time to time I get calls from movie personnel scouting out locations for movies.  Anything from old farm houses to century homes to barns.  Last week I had a guy from CBS call me to see if they could shoot a scene at an old Century home that I have listed for sale.  They would need it for 2 or 3 days for setup and filming and were willing to pay 3-4k for the use of the place and also provide their own insurance.  The house is vacant so the Seller will probably go for it.

I you don't mind disclosing, what kind of money would they pay for a one day car shoot ?

Joe
71 280SL, auto, white-grey (158)/brown (138)
72 911T, 5 spd, silver/black

peterm

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 14:23:26 »
Contractually Im not able to quote reimbursement.  I will say for the hassle its a wash. Seeing a poto published will make it worthwhile  Received a call today the agent is going to have his detailer wet sand the car

What is fascinating is watching the process itself.  They took over a 6 million dollar estate and had the run of the place.  They removed all the artwork and replaced it with their own, they actually took down chandeliers and replaced them with their own for the photos.  Rather large living room was transformed into a bedroom complete with fully decorated christmas tree stockings on the mantle even gifts  for a christmas catalog shoot

douglas dees

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 21:08:29 »
Joe: The car rate is approx $700/day if the car does not have mounted camera equipment and if it is not movingetc. That would cost $1400/day.  They have used my Pagoda for those rates. Some companies won't pay the going rate and you have to be careful with them. I had that experience a few years ago. Privately I will tell who they are . They then start to nickle and dime you for not paying if the actors don't show up or if it rains etc. I either drive the car there myself or have it flat bedded but I always attend the shoot.
Doug Dees

peterm

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:14:23 »
Logistically- I'd lose way too much taking a week day off to car sit-  there is opportunity cost to factor into the reimbursement.  subtract what I would lose by not being in the office vs what you get for the car "rental" and it would cost me considerably.  They will make it right and everything will be ok

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 20:17:10 »
I received $350.00 (half day rate) for using my car as a prop in January 2006 in Miami. Doesnt come close to the experience of the shoot itself and the shot of the car on the PRL Factory Store Father's Day brochure. This stated, you MUST stay with the car. I had a 2001 Audi TT used for two days by a production company and it was returned scuffed and the drivers carpet wet...they left the window down in the rain!

Witt

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 21:33:42 »
....most of the time it's just not worth it, unless you can stay with the car and move it as requested yourself......
A few years ago I loaned my 1978 911SC Targa to a movie company for a fee, the amount escapes me at the moment. It was returned soaking wet, the window was left open in the rain or they took the roof off.......cigarette buts on the floor.......the driver had put the car key on his own bundle of keys and left it in the ignition......and the "stay-open" mechanism on the driver door was damaged, someone forced the open door more open.....They just did not give a s**t......Their insurance payed me for the door repair....never again....

CHEERS !
WITT !

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 00:56:57 »
I think that the key is to be present personally. Agree ahead of time if the car needs to be moved, move it yourself.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 14:52:40 »
The experience you have is going to depend on the production company you work with.  I'm a car guy, so when we rented gorgeous a 1920 Model T stake bed truck for a shoot, I personally chose the flatbed driver and made sure that everyone on the crew understood the importance of treating the car as carefully as Nitro-glycerine.

If you want to allow a production company to use your car, the precautions should include photos of every surface of the car and close-ups of the paint before you start.  That protects both of us.  Of course comprehensive insurance. And, the language of the contract should make it clear who gets to decide if any repair is acceptable.  The most important thing I can say is that at the end of the day, a car is only tin and rubber.  If you can't get your mind around that, don't rent the car out.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe