Author Topic: restoration asembly process  (Read 6089 times)

domingo_santo

restoration asembly process
« on: April 23, 2011, 14:31:27 »
Dear all,

does any one has made a list or a process to asambly parts after a frame off restoration?  I am in the process of asambling all parts but would like to have advise if any information is available.   I am attaching three pictures of actual status.  thanks.

amg65ri

Re: restoration asembly process
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 19:33:35 »
Juan, Nice job. Paint looks excellent...

The best way to reassemble is to repeat the disassembly process in reverse...  ;D   just kidding.  i have no idea what to do first but I am sure others will chime in. i would imagine you would want to install the drivetrain first then accessories, followed by dash and electrical and then interiro parts ie carpeting...

I will check to see if i can find an assembly manual. i had one for my camros and corvettes. takes a lot of guesswork out of the process...

good luck...

domingo_santo

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 20:33:41 »
AMG 65, thanks.  The thing going back is that when we did the disasambly there were wrong steps, the same, I did not find a detailed instruction on what goes first.  I guess one may have an idea but as you commented it takes a lot of guess work if we have some instruction or notes that can guide you.
thanks.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 21:50:34 »
Hi, Juan,

I would start with a pot of satin black paint and paint in the panels that show thru the grill and also the dash area.

Story goes that MB took the heater matrix first and built the car around it...

There are a couple of members rebuilding cars at the moment, so I'm sure they can help with specific questions.

Nice paint job.
Good luck with the rebuild
Naj
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 21:54:14 by naj »
68 280SL

domingo_santo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:10:13 »
thanks naj, nice to hear about you.  very good observations as I want originality as much as posible.  regards.

domingo_santo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:43:37 »
Naj, one question, were this parts hand, brush painted?

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 18:52:25 »
Hi, Juan,

The dash looks brush painted but the front panel may have been sprayed.
Perhaps someone can confirm the extent to which the front panels should be painted?
See Pics.

Naj
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:12:02 by naj »
68 280SL

Tom Colitt

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 00:32:45 »
Good point Naj about the Black paint. Everything was brush painted satin black and for maximum correctness you don't want to mask things off, but rather leave rough edges and even brush strokes per your own taste. Do a search on this site for details and don't forget the edges of the under body before the rocker covers go on....
The very least in the front is all portions that are body colored and will be visible from the front or at a slight angle, through the grill opening. Even the front transverse frame member was sometimes painted black around the bumper mounted air conditioning condenser.

I'd say one of the first things to do after the sub frames, axles and brakes and brake lines, would be installing the heater core. Don't forget to install the throttle linkage along the firewall very early on too. Before the engine goes in, have the complete exhaust system roughly in position. I find it safer to install the engine without the alternator and transmission on a new paint job. This should get you started? ;-)

Good Luck, Tom

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 22:18:45 »
Hello Juan,

The wiring harness is one of the first items to back in. If I were you I would get a hold of Bob Possel. He has his restoration very well documented. I am sure he can give you a complete run down.

Take care,
Joe
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:08 »
Hello Juan,
There's a sequence of photos here:
http://www.sltechw113.com/restoration-slideshow.html
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Tom Colitt

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 15:38:25 »
Joe is right. Wiring harness does come first. Well, right after the right hand brake line :-) (It looks your painters hadn't removed your harness?)