Author Topic: Storing a motor  (Read 2868 times)

n/a

Storing a motor
« on: May 29, 2004, 01:42:50 »
Hello everyone.

I was lucky enough to buy an almost complete 230 SL motor and manual gearbox very cheaply this weekend. Apparently, about 18 months ago the previous owner pulled it out and replaced it with a 280 motor from a sedan which he mated to a 5 speed Toyota Supra gearbox. He said that the car went really well but he sold it anyway and bought a 500 SL. I don't need the motor at the moment but it will come in very handy when I eventually rebuild my own motor. I've put oil down the spark plug holes and turned the motor over by hand a few times to distribute it. Should I be doing anything with the fuel injection pump or other systems? It may be a few years before I need it.

Thanks, as usual

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Storing a motor
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 21:45:35 »
Hello Mark,
You should store the engine with fresh clean engine oil. Dirty oil can settle out and can cause  sludge to accumulate in the oil pan during long storage.

There are some special units which replace the spark plugs which have a drying agent built in.

Lubricate all linkages.

Oiling the cylinders, as mentioned is good.

Use duct tape to close all water and air openings. Rodents and insects find nice places to nest and store food.

Turn the engine by hand every year or two preferably on a nice dry day so as not to introduce moist air into the cylinders.

You can spray a metal preserver on the exterior to keep metal parts from corroding on the outside during storage. Actually a liquid spray wax (turtle wax) will work.

Cover it, a lot of dust and dirt will accumulate over the years.

Drain all the coolant since it can turn to acid from age.

Clean and treat all rubber hoses and parts.

Check with an injection pump rebuilder for advice on how to leave the injection pump ( I would guess with some light oil in fuel galleries) and injectors.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 21:47:09 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 05:55:48 »
There is a storage fluid that you can use with your injection pump that you can get from a fuel injection shop. For what it is worth I store all my injection pumps etc by removing them from the engine and running automatic transmission fluid (ATF) through them then capping everything off. I also submerge any small bits(injectors) that I have lying aroung in little vials of ATF. That way I am sure they will not corrode while being stored.

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 20:17:49 »
Thanks for the good advice guys. I've just bought an engine stand and when I get the engine mounted I'll do as you suggest.

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD