Author Topic: wheel cover eBay find... resto pics  (Read 3059 times)

amg65ri

wheel cover eBay find... resto pics
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:30:27 »
Ok so you all know I am trying to get my 250sl up and running.. while I figure out the (wrd, ignition, fuel injectors etc etc etc... ) I am slowly piecing back together the missing pieces.  keep in mind that this is by no means a show car....

today I got a set of hub caps in the mail, taped and painted them. not ba for 80$ delivered. Not sure if they are the correct wheel covers for the car, but they snap on great and seem period correct.

I also bought some interior panels and a seat bracket to put the passenger seat back together. If anyone has any used seat covers let me know... it would be a waste to put new ones in the car.... i dont think it would look correct...

here are the paint pics...

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: wheel cover eBay find... resto pics
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:44 »
What color is your interior?

amg65ri

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 00:46:00 »
my interior is a golden brown tanish color.... it is not as nice as this sample pic, but I think this is the color....

Kopie

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:54 »
Those are the same wheel covers that are on my '71.  Mine had a lot of rash on the edges (rusty looking scrapes and small dents).  I took a small punch and tapped the small dents out as best as possible from the back side, then ground it smooth with a grinder and 120 grit paper.  Progressed finer up to about 600 grit and then polished with a stainless steel buffing kit from Harbor Freight.  They turned out great.  The rash is completely gone.  It's a little messy because a lot of black is produced from polishing  stainless steel.