Author Topic: Hella Driving Lights  (Read 4997 times)

Largeowner

Hella Driving Lights
« on: July 03, 2011, 14:57:36 »
Well, I have gone and done it.  I picked up some vintage Hella driving lights and plan to put them on my beloved Pagoda (I know I am offending some purists, but I like the look).

My problem is how do I hook them up?  My car is a 67 230sl.  It has the dash switch with the pull-out feature and in theory all 230s were wired for fog lights. However, my headlights are "AN" which means 1968 and later and have no wiring for fogs (perhaps a change by a previous owner?). 

In any case, I would like to use these lights to augment the low beams.  Using the search feature, I have found several options:

1. Connect at the headlights (perhaps only available with the Euro headlights). 
2. Connect at some small fuse box forward of the main fuse box (where is it?).
3. Connect at fuse number 8 on the firewall but upgrade the fuse to 16 amps.

What is the best solution?  Detailed instructions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Large

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Hella Driving Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 21:03:10 »
I recommend running a small wire from the switch, hooked to a relay. If the switch only gets +12v when the main lights are on, (see Hella wiring diagram) then you cannot accidentally switch on the driving lights. I switched straight from the +12v so I can run the driving lamps even when the main lights are not on.

Put a fuse between the battery and the relay.

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 21:30:33 »
Another possibility is to use a wireless remote similar to newer car entry systems. You wire from the battery (fused) to the remote receiver, to the fog light circuit. Good part is you are not cutting or irreversibly modifying anything. The remote receiver (very small) and wires can go in front (front of the car) of the battery and drop down to the fog lamps (out of sight). The remote "sender" can be on your key ring or just riding in the center consol.  I bought this setup on eBay some time ago, but never did anything with it. Search for remote foglight switch if you are interested.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Largeowner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 22:38:11 »
Thanks for the replies,

I DID locate the "small fuse box" just forward of the main one.  There are wires going into and out again, but they fail to test "hot."  The fuse appears intact, but the contacts are quite dirty.

Large

To provide an update:

I cleaned the contacts and replaced the 44 year old fuse in the small fuse box.  The result, useful 12 volt power!

The lights only seem to work in the fog light setting (switch in parking lights and out).  If I select headlights (and out) the Hellas go dark again.  For the moment, I am resigned to use them as fogs and not driving lights.

I was fortunate that my bumper overiders were further outboard than some I have seen.  The result is very pleasing to my eye and MUCH better than overiders alone! 

Below is an attempt to upload before and after photos to this site.  Hope it works!

Large
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 18:29:11 by Largeowner »