Author Topic: Rubber Boot on Rear Axle  (Read 5987 times)

Mike

Rubber Boot on Rear Axle
« on: May 17, 2004, 18:49:55 »
My rubber boot is leaking fluid.  It appears to me that the differential will need to be removed to replace it with a boot that is similar tot the one that is on there.  I have located a boot that is "split", thus avoiding the need to remove the differential in order to replace you just wrap it around the axle, glue it and staple it.  My mechanic friend advises against using it, saying that it will not hold up.  I'm tempted to try it since it will turn an all day job into a 30 minute one.  Anyone try one of these who can vouch for or against it?

Michael L. Hund

blairwag

Re: Rubber Boot on Rear Axle
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 21:18:23 »
I can not say, from experience with this particular boot, in this application, but...
I can tell you this: I agree with your mechanic friend. I would not trust it! No way will a glued boot hold against the wear, tear, heat, and vibration that the rear end deals with. If there's anything simple that I've learned in my less than 2 years working on this car, it's this: nothing is simple to work on nor repair, on this car, the RIGHT WAY. Everything seems to be AT LEAST an all day job. Otherwise, it's just a temporary band-aid.

Good luck, which ever you decide to try. :)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 21:24:07 »
Hello Mike,
The solid boot is superior, but the split boot is more than adequate. I used one for over 100,000 miles in my 190-SL with no problems.

These split boots are an approved factory repair and the job can be reviewed in section 35-7/1 of the later BBB and section 35-9/1 of the early BBB with some nice photos.

Mercedes used this same axle boot in all single swing axle cars after 1954 except the 300-SL (larger). So you can probably find the procedure in other manuals also.

A special tool(# 11 589 06 37 00) is used, however careful use of needle nose or duckbilled pliers works.
Years ago you could buy a kit from Mercedes which had the two skinny clamps and the nine clips for a few bucks. The kit number was #110 357 05 91. The old split boot number was #110 357 03 91. The soilid boot was #110 357 04 91.

The Mercedes book times for these procedures is 1.6 hours for the split boot and 6.8 hours for the solid boot. Of course this is by a trained pro with special tools, excellent working conditions and a new car.

The BBB states that sealer should NOT be used on the seam.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 16:51:34 »
I have done this job and the split boot works perfect. It is easiest to install by removing the fuel tank and compensating spring. I didn't do it that way and if I did it again i would. I did remove the compensating spring but not the fuel tank. If you do the job make sure to have new rubber spacers for your compensating spring as it is a good time to put them in. Also when draining the differential make sure the axle tubes are level as they hold a lot of oil when hanging down. Make absolutely sure the surfaces that the split boot clamp to are clean and dry of oil for the best seal and instalation. The staples can be put in with needlenose pliers no problem. Make sure you get the 2 clamps and the staples with your new split boot, this may be a separate instalation kit. Mine has been in 2 years with no problems. Also when refilling the differential make sure the axles have full wieght on them and they are level or you will seriously overfill it. I would also recomend cutting off the old boot, lowering the car to get the axles level and let it drain overnight, then clean up all oil with solvent, the presence of oil made it much harder to position the new boot, it kept sliding out of position. A nice easy Saturday afternoon job with a nice reward, one less spot on the garage floor, now for that leaky auto tranny drain plug.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:42:54 »
FWIW I changed mine last year and used the slit type. I had access to a car lift so I just drained the oil and lowered the car, left it for about 1/2 hour whilst I did other stuff, then raised the car cut off the boot, without removing anything. Then just cleaned up the oil, fitted the new boot over the axle. I DID glue the little channel and I didnt use the staples !!

All in all it took about an hour and it hasn't leaked in 10 or 15k !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor