Author Topic: New member - Best way to use this forum for technical advice?  (Read 3357 times)

Matt Bowen

Hello, my name is Matt.  Joined today to acquire some tech advice to help out my father with his 64 230 sl.  What's the best way to use this board for technical advice and troubleshooting processes/guidance.

Will search based on symptoms.
Full membership seems important to access the power of the Tech Manual.
Is there a parts resource promoted here?

I"m in northern Virginia.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: New member - Best way to use this forum for technical advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:55 »
Matt,

First of all welcome to the group!

There is A LOT of information on the forum. The search function can be a very powerful tool. You may need to post your search in several different ways but the questions you have, especially at the start, will most likely have been posed before and there will be a lot of useful advice.
Indeed the technical manual also has a lot of great information.

If you get no results, or are still unsure, post away, we are here to help. Sometimes, the search can be a bit daunting. Another way to start is to search only by the titles of the message. This may not get you all that you want, but it may provide a good starting point.

There are a number of parts sources referenced on the site (Buds Benz, Millers, K&K, SL Tech to name a few). The group can also help with local resources, there are a number of folks in the Virginia area.

One of our members has been known to hold an October meeting in the Virginia area, keep your eyes open.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:37:31 »
Take a look at the Forum "How to Use this Site". It may help to learn what is here and how to find things.

Also, open the Technical Manual which has its own search function.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Matt Bowen

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:20:18 »
I thank you, Jonny and Richard, for the welcome.  Hope to spend some time the next couple of day familiarizing myself with the archives.

Dad's car has been sitting still for lengthy periods.  Almost a year since it was last used.  At that time they complained it was running rich and producing embarassing amounts of smoky exhaust.  Mom said it would stop running, then "after a rest" would start again.  She lost confidence and put it back in the garage.  So, I hope to identify some routine maintenance tasks that might address those symptoms then take if for a full tank drive to inventory all other issues.  I assume these don't react well to long periods at rest.

Matt

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 15:50:36 »
Matt,

Not many cars like to set for long periods of time, and the Pagoda is no exception, especially with the mechanical fuel injection. But remember, don't just start the car and let it run for a few minutes or such at a time. The car needs to be taken out and run for a period long enough to get the engine (and oil) thoroughly warm so the water condensation is removed. Driving also helps to keep the various joints, parts, linkages, etc pliant.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 20:25:12 »

Mom said it would stop running, then "after a rest" would start again. 

Matt

There is probably a lot of debris in the fuel tank causing this problem.
Best to get it out and thoroughly cleaned making sure the delivery and return fuel lines are not clogged.
The bottom plug has a mesh filter which should be clean.
The electric fuel also has a screen filter on the inlet adaptor.
And the cartridge fuel filter in the engine bay (under the left engine support bracket) is best replaced.

Naj
68 280SL