Author Topic: Chuck Weber?  (Read 4495 times)

Frank Mallory

Chuck Weber?
« on: July 07, 2011, 19:57:14 »
Is Chuck still around? I spent many a Sunday out at Chuck's place in Boyds Md in the 1960's while him and my Dad fooled around with those Gullwings and 300SL roadsters in the barn...

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Chuck Weber?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:07:03 »
Can't find him in our memberslist. If he never signed up that doesn't tell you anything though...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Frank Mallory

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 21:12:15 »
Thanks for checking, Peter. Chuck ... "Dr. Charles M. Weber", was Frank Srs. best friend. Back in "The Day" :) let's say that was 1969 for me, Chuck and my Dad would organize Gymkanas out at Chucks farm outside Germantown Maryland. Even as a 12-year-old-boy, I though it was pretty nutty to see these adults talking their 190SL's, Gullwings, 300SL Roadsters, and their Pagodas, and doing crazy things with them like sliding sideways through the coned-off course in the grass and the mud... all timed by a stopwatch.  Great fun!!

I really don't know the extent of Dr Webers involvement in the MBCA, but there were events held at his place, as well as "Time Trials" and other driving events held on those Maryland country roads nearby.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:55:31 »
Frank - welcome here - from your post I understand your father was Frank Mallory (sr). If you do a search on that name on this forum, you will see many a post dedicated to your father as many of us knew him, or at least of him.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Frank Mallory

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 14:38:40 »
Thanks Cees; He was a great man, not only in the Mercedes community... he was also one of the worlds foremost experts on U.S. Martial arms: military rifles and handguns used in the 1800's to mid 1900's. He authored a few books on that subject as well as offering a documentation service (Springfield Research Service) that could tell the owner of a present-day firearm exactly where his weapon came from and who it was originally issued to in, say: 1878. Amazing.
 Below: Dad's silver 250SL. Frank Sr is in the blue jacket right next to his car...

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 20:46:40 »
Frank,

I saw your post the other day on another topic and looked at the "author signature" before clicking on the link. I said to myself "I wonder who is resurrecting an old topic".

I met your dad a couple of times at car shows when he was selling and promoting "The MERCEDES Collector" magazine. I was a subscriber to it and still have every issue and duplicates of a few of them. When the internet was in its infancy I would log into his web Bulletin Board System:

Modem: 301/622-2247 for our computer Bulletin Board System. Access on the BBB is free, and it requires a 1200 bps or higher modem set to 8-N-1.

We passed a few emails back and forth from time to time. He was a great knowledgeable person. I still thumb through the old issues of the magazine from time to time and still enjoy them!

PS: I have the same fender cover as shown on your Dad's car.

Welcome to the SL113 site.

Regards,

280SE Guy
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

LFrank

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 18:58:39 »
Frank --

I thought the same thing as 280SE Guy; and I hadn't heard Chuck Weber's name mentioned in a few years.

Your dad was a neat guy, and I remember him well.  I was there that day too, but my face is covered by the open hood; the baby blue porkpie hat is visible, and worn because it matches my car.

I'm sure the country roads around Boyds are but a distant memory as welll..

*Sigh*

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 21:42:27 »
Looks like Roseann Barr was there also ;D

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084