Author Topic: Leather Removal  (Read 4331 times)

Dick M

Leather Removal
« on: May 28, 2004, 18:17:18 »
Before painting the lid that covers the soft top, I want to remove the leather and trim. Can someone provide guidance on how it should be done?
Hopefully it can be replaced after lid is painted.

Thanks
Dick
1970 280SL

Download Attachment: retainer.jpg
78.9 KB

blairwag

Re: Leather Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 22:03:18 »
Isn't the leather fixed to the cover using an adhesive?  Is it even possible to remove without destroying the leather?  You might want to find an experienced body shop or old apolstry shop who's willing to share some secrets.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dick M

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 14:35:31 »
Seems to be retained by trim piece and several clips around the back edge accessed from under the lid.  Though maybe someone on site would have experience with removal.  It goes to body shop on Tues....

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 15:30:29 »
I have just recovered my softop boot with MBTex. If you are just painting, you dont really need to remove the whole leather trim. Instead, you can detach the trim around where you will be painting (the rear of the boot) but leave everything intact at front of boot.

Just lift the boot and look underneath. There are about 10 or so "twist" attachements which protrude down thry the boot. Carefully untwist these about 1/8 turn and then push them up thru the boot. Now from above, lift/peel the leather trim, notice there is metal reinforcement glued to the leather, just leave the leather attached to metal and pull the whole thing back far enough to paint

Mike McMahon, Baltimore MD
1970 280SL 4-speed manual
olive green ext, bamboo int

n/a

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 20:10:34 »
Hi Dick,
When I replaced my interior, I did the entire car in leather except for the soft top lid.  I was told that it is extremely difficult to use leather on the lid due to the twists involved.  I replaced this piece in tex which is much more pliable.
Hope this helps,
Don
71 280sl

Dick M

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 21:38:27 »
Thank Don and Mike..
Mike are the "twist" attachments same as those in this photo"  Mine seem to be tabs (see photo) Are hese the same thing?

Download Attachment: lid clip leather retainer.jpg
73.51 KB

Dick M
1970 280SL

TA250SL

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 01:20:04 »
I used a local shop, GAHH to do my leather.  They had no problem with the top lid insert.  I supplied the repainted top, metal reinforcement piece, and chrome trim.   They assembled the whole works and it looks like new.  Just bend the tabs perpendicular to the lid, and the old leather will peel back.  The small chrome strips fit over about 12 small clips.  Just pry them loose and pull off the clips with pliers.  Good luck.

Tom

n/a

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 11:27:55 »
Yes, those retainers in your picture are same as my car except they are not bent over, they are twisted about 1/8 turn. I did a spot check on 2 other SL's nearby, both were twisted. While bending might work fine, it seems to me that twisting ensures a tighter fit than bending. Either way, be careful not to tear any of these tabs. Your milage may vary.

quote:
Originally posted by Dick M

Thank Don and Mike..
Mike are the "twist" attachments same as those in this photo"  Mine seem to be tabs (see photo) Are hese the same thing?

Download Attachment: lid clip leather retainer.jpg
73.51 KB

Dick M
1970 280SL

Mike McMahon, Baltimore MD
1970 280SL 4-speed manual
olive green ext, bamboo int

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 12:18:40 »
Good Luck Dick.

Drop me a line on which body shop you are using and what your up to. I think a new paint job will put your Pagoda at the head of the class. By the way, I passed our local light brown '66 [66SL4ME] and saw it is for sale. Have any info on that? I think its the NC winery SL...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Dick M

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 16:09:31 »
James
That makes two for sale here in our little mountain community....if anyone out there in Pagoda land is inteseted.

I'll send you update on my car offline.

Dick

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Good Luck Dick.

Drop me a line on which body shop you are using and what your up to. I think a new paint job will put your Pagoda at the head of the class. By the way, I passed our local light brown '66 [66SL4ME] and saw it is for sale. Have any info on that? I think its the NC winery SL...

James
63 230SL

Dick M
1970 280SL