Author Topic: Paintless Dent Removal - YES  (Read 4021 times)

Douglas

Paintless Dent Removal - YES
« on: May 22, 2004, 20:07:19 »
Paintless dent removal can be a remarkable process. When done right, it eliminates so many complications that it's hard to know where to begin. No expensive bodywork, no mismatched body panels, no filler, less time in the shop, lower cost of repair, etc.

No doubt results may vary. Everyone says it comes down to the individual performing the job and I agree.

With that said, I must say that I just had paintless dent removal done on another car of mine and I wholeheartedly recommend the individual who did the job, The results were outstanding.

If anyone in the NY area is considering paintless dent removal, call Bruno at 201-461-5658. He's in Leonia, NJ. Unlike the technicians at many dent removal shops, Bruno is comfortable working with older cars like ours.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

knirk

Re: Paintless Dent Removal - YES
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 23:53:02 »
Douglas,

This is the first time I read about this process. Can you explain how it's done?

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 01:35:39 »
Doug:

I once had a "ding puller" look at the dimples on my doors....he was going to push them out from the inside with thin metal rods inserted past the window felts into the door...he decided not to do it because the paint was original lacquer. He said some old lacquer does not stretch and could crack when a ding is pushed out.

Do you know if this is true? Did your other car have original paint?

About how much does this 'treatment' cost?  

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 05:40:43 »
Per,

Richard's description is right on the money. They essentially push the ding out from the inside using metal rods designed to apply light pressure.

And yes, I've heard lacquer is much more prone to cracking, even from temperature changes. If you have the time, you should pay Bruno a visit and ask him for his opinion about your particular situation.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 09:06:35 »
I have a friend who does this and I have had some work done on my newer vehicle with amazing results. I tried it myself on a bad dent in the door on my 230SL using the handle end of a screwdriver. He said you picture the dent as an orange and you must push on all the small dimples and slowly move the dent out. For me it worked amazingly well, the dent slowly came out and lookes way better than before. My doors are a door ding nightmare and the biggest dent looked like a lawnmower threw somthing and hit it. The previous owner called it his 30 foot car, as at 30 feet away it looks great. Now it looks better all the time.

Longtooth

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 06:05:52 »
I've had perfect results at a local MB dealer... several (4) dents removed with no trace they were even there.  Two were on door panels, one on the top of rear fender where somebody before me had obviously let the hard-to drop hard while removing or installing, and another near front light on side panel.

I've seen results of others who've taken their cars to paintless dent removal co's.... results less than satisfactory.  I've talked to a body & paint co. I use about it... they've told me to call specific individuals who do this.... not just any paintless dent removal guy or co.

At MB dealer the work was guarenteed perfect or you didn't pay a dime....  The dealer's have a 'class' reputation to maintain so they keep a paintless dent removal guy on site or specifically call known ones who can do the work right or it isn't done at all.

Prices were steep though... I paid $650 for the 4 dents I had removed --- price goes to degree of difficulty and labor to remove things that prevent reaching the dent.  I figure price is right if results are right... with guarentee that it won't be there (period... if any of it still visible, I wasn't required to pay) it was worth it.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
95 SL500