Author Topic: Missing washer?  (Read 2819 times)

knirk

Missing washer?
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:36:42 »
I made a complete engine overhaul 2 months ago. To get the idle up to 800 after first start-up I had to adjust the Injection Pump idle screw 15 clicks – and that has puzzled me ever since.
The throttle response when cold is perfect, but when warm I need a lot of throttle to get some action.

From previous strings I learned that the Control Valve/Heat Sensor could be the problem.
I have increased the oval shims under the CV/HS housing from 0.8 mm to 1.6 mm with just a little improvement. Then I looked at the SLS sight and discovered a washer or ring (item 105) which I don’t have. Adding this ring should give the same effect as adding shims under the valve housing. I suspect that it went lost during my engine work and if I am correct this may be the reason for the 15 click difference before and after the overhaul.

Can anybody confirm this washer?
And if possible give me the size of it so I have a chance to find it in my chaotic garage.

Download Attachment: Washer.jpg
52.74 KB

Download Attachment: SLS.jpg
66.65 KB

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Missing washer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 05:57:40 »
Hey Per,

The washer is a spacer between the Thermostat housing and the top of the slide valve. I have attached a composite pic showing the washer and how it is installed.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto

Download Attachment: InjPumpDeviceParts.jpg
71.42 KB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 06:17:24 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

knirk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:52:36 »
Thanks Bob,

I can see that this spacer is hard to misplace so it's probably there. The ring in the SLS picture looked like something else. So much for that theory.

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

bayleif

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:00:17 »
Hi Per,
I think you are also correct in your first picture. There are very small washers that fit onto the end of the thermostat plunger. I don't know the correct size, one shop I brought my car to just used any brass washer they could find that fit. I don't bring it to them anymore.

Chuck Bartlett
1969 Signal Red 4 Speed

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 14:48:29 »
Hi Per,
There are washers that fit into the top of the air slide valve itself.

See Pic attached

They are adjusted to affect the cut off temperature of the air slide valve.
Usually there is a number of them under a black steel washer which is held in place by a internal C clip.

Before adding or removing washers..........

Have you checked that the valve is moving freely and not binding?

It is a common problem which I discovered last year. The valve was jammed because of lack of lubrication.

Sometimes coolant can get in there when the system is being setup. It then becomes concentrated and gums up the valve.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto

Download Attachment: AirSlideValve_2.JPG
19.93 KB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 21:28:47 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best