Author Topic: Source for Restoration "Correctness" Guide  (Read 3212 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Source for Restoration "Correctness" Guide
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:58:31 »
Is there a "Definitive Source" for what's correct in terms of CAD plating and painting of underbody and suspension items?  Example:  Are the Motoring Investments restored cars "Correct" in terms of what's CAD plated and what's painted?  They are so beautifully restored, they would seem to me (in total ignorance) to be almost overrestored.  It seems that everything that can be plated is plated.

I hope that they are perfect so I can just copy what's in their extensive collection of photos without doing years of research on individual items.  Does anybody really know?

I'm collecting and identifying my final parts to be CAD plated and repainted.  My car has apparently been redone several times.  There's no way to know what's original regarding painting and plating.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: Source for Restoration "Correctness" Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 15:15:03 »
Hi Tom,
 I am certainly not claiming to be "Definitive Source" but a while ago I posted a few pictures of my engine bay(s) taken when the car were new. They might be of help to you.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=14407.0

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 20:45:44 »
Another excellent source is the first 280 SL advertising brochure, that has a very nicely detailed photo of the engine compartment. I do not know if it is posted on the site or not. These brochures do come up on ebay from time to time.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 00:41:51 »
When I first started on this project, I was looking for engine compartment restoration information.  I now have several photos of original early engine compartments - enough to know now how do restore mine.

What I need now is to find some wierdo (like me) who took color photos of his underbody and suspension when his car was new.  I've identified a lot of CAD plated fasteners underneath the car (the threads still have CAD on them) as well as some black oxide coated fasteners actually on the suspension (or something that looks like black oxide mixed in with rust).

I guess if there is no reliable accurate source available, I'll just do my best and not worry about it.  I've had enough of car shows with the previous car.  This one is to drive a lot and enjoy.

If anyone finds a reliable source of plating and coating information for the underbody and suspension, please post it.

Thanks,

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)