Author Topic: Barrel-type right rear wheel bearing  (Read 3976 times)

WillS

Barrel-type right rear wheel bearing
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:00:08 »
This is just driving me crazy, help. Does anyone have the OEM factory --or perhaps made one-- tool one needs to hold the right rear 'barrel-type' wheel bearing at a right angle to the right rear axle shaft while installing that axle? I have tried for days now to get that axle to go in, the barrel bearing outer race just keeps cocking and locking up. I realize that others have installed the right axle without the tool, but I just haven't been skillful or lucky enough to get the bearing pressed in. I want to shoot that axle and put it out of my misery  :'(......  Thanks.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Barrel-type right rear wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:55 »
Hello Wil, 
Yes, there  is an elaborate special tool shown in the Factory Manual.  I do not know of anyone who ever had or used one.

It is always difficult to start these without the special tool.  Once the bearing is in position, tap the axle end. When the bearing begins to mis-align, take a flat ended drift or steel rod and tap the high side of the bearing to re-align it. You can do this if you allow the brake baking plate to rest against the bearing, and the drift is placed against the backing plate by inserting it through the large hole in the axle flange and gently tap with a hammer. When everything aligns again go back to tapping  the axle once more and repeat the process if the bearing mis-aligns again.

It is sort of confusing I am sure. If a picture could help, let me know.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

WillS

Re: Barrel-type right rear wheel bearing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:42:59 »
Joe, I get what you're saying & thanks. I did something similar, but will give it a harder try.

I've got a pretty simple to make tool in mind that should do the job, but don't have the tool-making skills for it. And I hope to get it going the way you describe anyway.