Author Topic: Rear End Change  (Read 3172 times)

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
Rear End Change
« on: December 17, 2011, 20:17:51 »
Happy Holidays. Question (may be a stupid one) from a newbie. All of the discussion about rear end changes discuss changing the entire rear end. Is it possible to only change the ring and pinion? What are the pitfalls or cons. I am sure that this has been tried and discussed previously, so any info would be of value. I have a 68 280 Euro auto with a 3.92 rear end and am interested in changing to a 3.27 and believe that I have located one to purchase, but wanted to explore any possible alternatives. Thanks, in advance for any info and assistance.

James

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Rear End Change
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 22:09:32 »
The problem is that the crown wheel does not fit in the relatively small pumpkin that is fitted to the Pagoda so the whole axle is changed over.

And having done a change over, it is a great improvement to the pleasurable driving with the lowered revs with little loss in acceleration unless you are a speed demon.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

George Des

Re: Rear End Change
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 22:16:12 »
Some other who have tackled these rear axles no doubt will weigh in too, but having opened up the rear end completely on a 230SL rear axle to change out the crush sleeve and all the bearings including the two pinion bearings and side bearings, I can tell you that getting inside one these axles and getting everything right again is a long involved job. Swapping the ring and pinion is much more involved than a simple remove and replace and requires some fairly sophisticated measurements to ensure that the mesh is correct. In the long run, swapping out the entire rear end with the ratio you want would be much easier and cheaper with a whole heck of a lot less frustration. My two cents. hope this helps.

George