Author Topic: Installing Timevalve SS Exhaust  (Read 3593 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Installing Timevalve SS Exhaust
« on: December 17, 2011, 02:41:02 »
I'm finally getting around to installing my Timevalve SS exhaust system for my '71 280SL and there are three approaches:

1. Install using the 4 SS clamps
2. Have the entire system welded together
3. Weld the end near the muffler and use the other 3 SS clamps

I'd appreciate hearing feedback on pros and cons of both approaches.  I've been told that Gernold welds all of his and heard from another source that if you go the clamp method the exhaust note is louder.  But I spoke with Mike at Timevalve and he claims that the exhaust note is only slightly louder during idle, and sounds pretty much like OEM at other RPM's.  

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and advice!

Nate
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Installing Timevalve SS Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 02:33:04 »
Well, Nate--if Gernold were doing yours, then I'd let him choose.

If you are doing yours, don't attempt welding it unless you are an expert welder and have a lot of experience in fitting exhaust systems.  You need to know your installation is perfect before welding, and you really need skills beyond that of a shade tree mechanic.  I am assuming you are one like many of us, else you would not ask the question.

BTW, for what its worth, my SS Time Valve has been on for about 10 years, with SS clamps, and nobody has complained about the exhaust note.  With the top down there is all kinds of noise, the exhaust not being one I worry about.

I suppose once you have it in and all, and if you happen to find yourself up in Maine one day (or at any of the other extremely skilled mechanics we all know about round these parts), you could have it all welded up.  It will be, in all likelyhood, the last exhaust system your car ever needs.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:39:35 »
Hi--

I've recently installed a SS exhaust, not a Timevalve one, however. Used the clamps. They allow endless repositioning to avoid chassis clunks, rubs, etc.

I don't know the advantage of welding, but the clamps give you much greater flexibilty in the future if you have to drop the fuel tank, the transmission, or rear axle.

I have had a Timevalve on my R107 for about 12 years, mounted with clamps, and I am very happy with it.

The other Joe

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:47:01 »
Hi,

I have a Timevalve system on my 107 chassis 280SL using clamps and the biggest advantage I see is the ability to remove/adjust it. The system is excellent and even though I have the ability to weld the system completely, I will also clamp the system when completing my 113 chassis 280SL next summer.

Jack   
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed