Author Topic: Window crank question  (Read 3789 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Window crank question
« on: January 07, 2012, 15:57:58 »
I needed to replace the window cranks on my 69 which screw in.   I received two that have the identical handles though have a larger hole where mine would screw in?   Do they take a larger screw?  some sort of clip?   The original is the one with the small screw opening on the right.  Thanks.   Trying to determine if I need to send back.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Window crank question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 17:11:37 »
I would do one of two things: search here for window cranks (because we have discussed similar things) or email Scoot who can help. In my case I have one of each -- the passenger is original and a screw-type, the driver's a replacement regulator that takes the clip. Good luck.
James
63 230SL

jacovdw

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 17:34:12 »
Dana,

The window crank handle on the left of your picture needs a clip to secure it. That clip is formed in part by the window crank insert.

There are 3 basic version of the window crank. The 230SL's and early 250SL's (up to chassis number 2979) used the screw type with the small conical knob.
The 280SL's have 2 basic versions:

a) the screw type with larger knob (up to chassis number 015518) and also shared with the later 250SL's.
b) the clip type (identified by the large hole) with the large knob (chassis number 015519 onwards).

So it would appear that the one on the left is from a much later car as it is the more common variety.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 18:42:53 »
or just ask Jaco  ;D
James
63 230SL

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:17:26 »
Jaco,  the knob is exactly the same as my 69.  Can I just order clips from Millers, buds, etc?
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 17:30:37 »
The clip that holds on the non-screw crank is actually part of the padded crank insert.  But more importantly, look at your splined shafts on your window regulators.   Do they want screw-in cranks or clip on cranks?  It will be obvioius when you look at them.   If someone replaced one of your regulators, it is entirely possible that you have one of each.

I have a variety of crank inserts in various colors, both styles, and I have a variety of cranks.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California