Author Topic: Fan Shroud Installation Odyssey  (Read 2591 times)

rb6667

Fan Shroud Installation Odyssey
« on: May 28, 2012, 21:14:10 »
I bought a used fan shroud for my 68 280Sl several years ago, but after reading about the nightmare it was to install it, I had second thoughts.  This car did have a shroud in its earlier days.  The telltale dent in the top radiator tank, for the hook shaped bracket, confirmed this.  Recently I got up the courage to tackle this project.  Numerous posts in our archives point out that the radiator, and most times the condenser have to be removed from the car.  I was determined to find a way to avoid this and success awaited!

Here is the procedure:

Remove the Hood.
Remove the Upper and Lower Oil Cooler Hoses
Remove the Battery, Battery tray and the bracket that mounts to the inside of the fender
Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the small hose that goes to the coolant recovery tank
Remove the alternator belt
Loosen the radiator mounting bolts (4) 10mm bolts and slide radiator as far forward as possible
Loosen the (4) 13mm bolts that hold the fan to the fan clutch, and side the fan towards the engine

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE power steering, the shroud can now be installed from the top with the radiator in place.

IF YOU DO HAVE POWER STEERING Grind the small lip on the fan shroud flush, where it goes around the PS Pulley & Nut

Since I do have power steering, it became obvious that the PS Pulley and Nut is the problem area, and this was pointed out many times in the archives.
Grinding off that small lip solves the problem.

I primed the area ground down and painted the shroud before installation.  I know the purist will frown on this, but now I can remove the fan shroud with the radiator installed if a Water pump/Fan clutch replacement is needed in the future.  

It is unknown if this could be done from below the car, for those of you wanting to avoid taking off the hood.   My guess would be it would not work, since the shroud has to be rotated to slip it into position.  You have the room working from above, not so sure there would be enough space to be rotated from below.

Hope this helps those of you working on this project.

RB6667
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:38:43 by Peter van Es »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Fan Shroud Installation Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 21:55:11 »
Last summer I changed the water pump and radiator.  This necessitated removing radiator and shroud; I chose to do this all from below.

I had the shroud powder coated while I was waiting for the radiator to be delivered, along with the air cleaner box.

Yes, it all can be done from below.

Last thing in the world I wanted to do is attempt to remove the hood without experience and help, neither which I had handy... ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid