Author Topic: Getrag 265 5-speed conversion (Mark Turnbull`s article in Pagoda World)  (Read 5874 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
A wonderful article that makes me yearn to dive into such a project.  Did anyone note the beautiful Getrag 265 wide ratio five speed on Ebay?  It has been cleaned up and it`s beautiful and complete.  It`s also inexpensive except for shipping.  I want it so bad I can taste it.  BUT!!!! I`m not up to such a project, even though I`m in the midst of a complete restoration with my car ready for the paint booth and the newly rebuilt engine still in the crate in the garage.  Perfect timing but too big a meal for my appetite.

I hope someone here, who has the same yearning as I do can see his or her dream come true.  I just thought I would let people know that it`s there.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-262-635csi-633csi-E24-5-speed-transmission-tranny-M6-265-getrag-/130703088925?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6e82dd1d

I have no connection with the listing.  I just thought I would look to see if there was one for sale and for how much.

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

George Des

Obviously making up for the low price with the cost of shipping!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Shipping within the USA is only $60!
Perhaps he was calculating air freight to Canada?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Shows as $1165 to Australia!!!!

Something is not quite right with the Getrag, I am not sure it is the low ratio box needed for a Pagoda and I cannot find my photos of the one I installed in the 280SL.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
The 5 speeds with the O/drive (0.89?) 5th gear are actually quite difficult to find. There are plenty of the close ratio 5 speeds around as they are popular for race cars but be warned: it's not easy to tell the two apart! (ask me how I know).

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
I very carefully compared the Ebay photos to Mark Turnbull`s photos at the bottom of page 25 of Pagoda World #13 and am almost sure that the Ebay trans is the overdrive version.  If someone were to buy it, it might be possible to have someone close by to pick it up and ship it cheaper (perhaps on a pallet to a business-place).  I've heard that shipping commercial is a lot cheaper.

My Metric engine rebuild shipment round trip in a large crate across North America between California and Quebec, Canada  was only $1250 US, and that was from and to my home.  K&K told me to have them ship all my future purchases to my restorer's shop and pick them up myself.  They said it's a lot cheaper to ship using commercial methods.  I did and it is.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

George Des

I have no interest in this transmission but for anyone that does, I can tell you from the experience of having 3 or 4 MB transmissions shipped via UPS, that this is an absurd price to pay. Obvious to me that the seller is making up for the low price by asking for it to be made up in shipping costs. I'm convinced that the good deals on parts for our cars on ebay are far and few between. Sellers know there is a market out there for Pagoda parts and are in many cases selling anything they can remotely tag as a w113 part just to ask for a ridiculous price. There was a large style fuel pump--not a fuel injection pump but a fuel feed pump-- listed recently for about $800! I know what these things cost used and what it takes to do a rebuild on one and it should not command a price anywhere near that neighborhood. Buyers really need to know what they are bidding on and what is a reasonable price to pay, or they will get taken to the cleaners playing the ebay bid game! Hope this helps our members, especially the new ones to the world of Pagodas.

George