Author Topic: SL body parts  (Read 4058 times)

lancelot

SL body parts
« on: July 06, 2005, 11:17:28 »
Somebody just smacked into my super original 230SL.  :evil:  [:(!] :x  :(  Well, that it for the original paint and dent free body. Unfortunately the impact was so bad  that the complete front is pushed in and my knees left  2 nice dents in the dash board. However now I’m looking for the following parts:

Hood
Grill
Fender right front
Bumper front
Headlights
Radiator (automatic)

Inner fender front right
Front mask

Or maybe the complete front clip.

Airbags ... just kidding :)

Let me know if know somebody with used parts

ranchomerced

Re: SL body parts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 13:19:25 »
I have a 250 SL shell car for sale it has already been disassembled It rolls.It has title. Minor rust but saveable. $2500 Plus shipping Mark Passarelli

Malc

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 08:15:47 »
Sorry to hear about your smack. but if the other person hit you can you claim off their insurance? - get panels from MB!
Malc
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:16:18 by Malc »

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 04:04:28 »
I "feel" for you Lancelot ! Thats a terrible thing to happen. one of our Club members had his immaculate W114 280CE hit by a stolen truck on Tuesday !

One thing always puzzles me, and I'm sure MarkP is the person to ask but since all these cars use weld on panels, blended into eachotyher how can you use second hand parts, like a front clip. How can these be removed without destroying the mating parts ??

Reason I ask is I am about to embark on a panel buying spree as I intend to start a full on body job on my '64 230 !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 14:25:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

One thing always puzzles me, and I'm sure MarkP is the person to ask but since all these cars use weld on panels, blended into eachotyher how can you use second hand parts, like a front clip. How can these be removed without destroying the mating parts ??
I believe it take a very good "cut & weld" artist.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 15:02:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ben, there are welding tools specifically made for cutting clean lines in sheet metal and another set of welding tools to "stitch" the pieces together, along with special clamps etc. all purpose built.  The little clamps hold the panels for welding, then the excess is ground off, and lead or plastic filler used to smooth out the seam.  In the hands of the right people with the right tools it is in a day's work.

Take a look here:

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/driveline/0803/welding.html

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 03:18:56 »
Mmmmm nice link Michael !

I reckon I should've taken a course on bodywork when I left school instead of mechanics !

Its a real art !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 06:42:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Mmmmm nice link Michael !

I reckon I should've taken a course on bodywork when I left school instead of mechanics !

Its a real art !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Sad but true Ben, the "non-academic" types in school who appeared to be losers with nowhere to go but vocational training, and became plumbers, electricians, and "body men" are the ones with steady work and lots of money--at least in this country!  There are a lot of out of work engineers in all fields, but any unemployed tradesman is simply not trying.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

Ben

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:27:50 »
Very true !

With the buidling boom in Ireland over the last few years it is impossible to find a plumber at all. No money will buy one. The guys who used to fix taps now own small plumbing contractor coimpanies and they dont want to know about anything but the site with 120 new houses !

Same for carpenters, electricians etc !

The only way you can get one of these guys is if you know someone who knows someone !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.