Author Topic: I have another injection pump  (Read 3476 times)

Jkalplus1

I have another injection pump
« on: August 02, 2012, 15:18:13 »
I found a used Pagoda injection pump in my stash.

Mine was rebuilt by Hans under the previous ownership.  It has seen about 1000 miles since rebuilt.  I wonder if there is any benefit to hold on to a used "condition unknown" injection pump.  What would you guys do?  Sit on it?  Send it for rebuild and sell?  Sell "as is"?  I have no idea if it is junk as it is, or if it has "some value"...you know what I mean?

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: I have another injection pump
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 15:49:54 »
You can give it to me if you want ::) :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 18:07:20 »
I would put it on the car and try it out, it may just be fine.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 19:55:45 »
Used pumps on their own seem to be fairly inexpensive as they seem to be valued at "core value". 

I have a spare pump as well so I mounted it on a block of wood and put it on my shelf as a decoration (or to be used as a core if I need Fairchild to rebuild mine).  Ocassionally I take it down and show it off to gear heads, I took mine to a club meeting and took the inspection plates off for display and put them back on and even have used it to try to figure out how mine works.   

Its a great conversation piece and have been invaluable in my ongoing education of the W113.

Keep it until you need it then use it / sell it / give it away?

Ian
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

George Des

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 22:21:26 »
If it is the model for a 230Sl, whatever you do, hang on to the thermostat! They are NLA and if you can find a used one they are very costly!

Jkalplus1

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:28:22 »
It's true, I think I saw a thermostat for over a thousand dollars on eBay.  Do they typically last a long time?  I am trying to get in the head of the previous owner, I guess that is why I asked if it is usual for Pagoda owners to have two injection pumps because of reliability issues, or whatever reason.  Are they fragile, wear fast, or whatever, I am not sure.  If I am made reasonably sure they are reliable, and there is no rational need to cling on to a spare I will just sell it no reserve to the highest bidder type of thing.  Let the market decide what it's worth because I certainly have no idea!

Thermostats...I am sure for that kind of money a little bit of reverse engineering or research could lead to a replacement that would fit in the OE cad-plated can, no?  I mean, we're sending rovers to Mars as a matter of routine...surely a solution can be found to this.

George Des

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 13:43:29 »
I agree. It should be a simple matter to reverse engineer the thermostat. My guess there just isn't enough demand out there for these for someone to do it. From what I understand all it is is a brass tube filled with wax that expands and contracts with the cooling water temperature changes. This causes the pin to extend and contract. Again, I don't think it is any technological wonder, it's whether a profit can be made by replicating it.