Author Topic: Heater "Defrost" Cable  (Read 3033 times)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
Heater "Defrost" Cable
« on: August 01, 2012, 22:02:22 »
Greetings from  wet Wales,

I have an early 250 SL  bought last month, the defrost lever was very stiff - and is now free !  Oops!

I looked inside from the top and the cable has snapped off just by the fixing to the lever, not too bad as flap is in defrost position.
I could maybe reattach a new cable from the top - but I suspect the flap is the problem -

After PM ing a very helpful member from a 6 year old previous post - I have tried to move the cable, but it seems well stuck and I suspect  the internal (flap?) is stuck.

I cannot find any diagram or information as to where the lower end of the cable terminates - or even a decent drawing of this part of the heater system - would it be accessable to fit a new cable without a complete strip down ?

It is not a great problem at the moment and can wait until the winter worklist, if it is a strip down job.

The broken cable can be seen in my photo here, and a lack of lubrication !

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
Re: Heater "Defrost" Cable
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:31:16 »
if it is  the directional cable control that controls air for defrost or air direction to the foot area, the heater air box has to come out. Be sure you learn how the very weird, one of a kind, clamp, works on the air box end to hold the cable there. The clamp holds the cable cover tightly , and lets the inner metal wire part of the cable move freely. If I remember correctly a 8mm offset ratchet wrench is needed to go through the speaker hole to feed the wire through the cable retention hole, then the washer and nut can be tightened. It helps if the windshield is out. This is a hard job. I know from experience
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:43 »

I dissagree that its a hard job - its a p$*@k of a job. Not only is it easier with the windscreen out; its easier if an oxy torch is used to cut away the dashboard, firewall and sundry other surrounding metal to leave the heater element and the gizzmos that are attached around it exposed.

Good luck

George (survivor of a heater element replacement)
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:00 »
Thanks,

Yes it is that cable, all the other parts of the system work ok.

I can see how to access the top end of the cable, where it is broken, but do I need to to dismantle all the system as per the WiKi to gain access to the lower end of this cable ?

Do you know of a drawing of the lower end connection?

Thank you for your time and help

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)