Author Topic: MB Tex vinyl suppliers  (Read 7344 times)

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
MB Tex vinyl suppliers
« on: January 21, 2013, 21:55:24 »
Gents,
I'm about to reupholster the black seats on my 1970 280SL. I've placed a WTB ad in the appropriate section in case someone has a new or near new set for sale. Since it's not likely, which of the following would you recommend from experience in terms of quality, fit, price, promptness of delivery, ease of installation for a do it yourselfer, and so on. I seek black vinyl MB Tex. The following four suppliers are the ones under consideration: 1) Bud's Benz, 2) World Upholstery,  3) Heritage, and 4) GAHH. Which one would you recommend? Respond here or if you prefer at my email <landeira@colorado.edu>
Thanks for your input, recommendation and advice.

KevinC

Re: MB Tex vinyl suppliers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 16:35:46 »
Lots of details in the archives if you use the site tool on the upper right side of the page. I myself had great experience using GAHH. Not to correct you but just a heads up...the only time you can get "Mercedes Benz Textured Vinyl" is in a new car. All of the suppliers these days provide vinyl but its not an MB product. 

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 00:33:59 »
I redid all of my interior from world upholstery.  Highly recommend
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:25 »
Dana,
Did you do the seats yourself or did you have them done by a professional upholsterer?

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 21:59:23 »
You could check out www.germanautotops.com as I did after reading some posts by satisfied customers, then give them a call.  They are a family-owned and operated business and will take the time to address your questions with knowledgeable responses.  I talked with Armen just recently, and he spoke very highly of what we referred to as "M-B Tex" or just "Tex".  I didn't ask about whether it's OE or genuine or what, as it wasn't the my main interest at the time, but they seem like the kind of folks that give honest answers and don't mind explaining some of how things work in the biz.  I'm not very knowledgeable about upholstery, but they seem to be known for good quality products and service at more reasonable prices than some.  Let us know how it goes and what you learn?    TIA     
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 22:06:00 »
Jumping on Pagoden's comments I highly recommend German Auto Tops.  They also supply most if not all of the interiors to GAHH without the $$$ markup.  They're further up the food chain so to speak...
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 22:56:30 »
....  They also supply most if not all of the interiors to GAHH without the $$$ markup.  ...
"Most if not all".  ???   From whom did you get this "inside information"?
As far as I know they are separate companies, but one having higher prices than the other.
That is the reason why I am ordering my next piece (hard top liner) from them.  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)