Author Topic: Becker Mexico Retro  (Read 21708 times)

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
Becker Mexico Retro
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:31 »
I am thinking about  installing a Becker Mexico 7948 or a 7942. It is a modern radio with navigation and a handsfree phone, but it looks like a radio from the sixties. There were posts on this forum before about this item, but I didn’t find anything about your experiences with it.

Does anyone have one? Please share your experiences.

For example: I am wondering where to hide the gps antenna. What do you think of the sound quality? Do you have an extra amplifier attached to it?

See http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/CAR+INFOTAINMENT-Mexico+7948-Overview.html

Martijn

Download Attachment: mexicoretro2.jpg
92.29 KB
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

hauser

Re: Becker Mexico Retro
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:47:04 »
Has there been any discussion manufacturing a simpler version of this radio?  I like the idea of having a modern radio with the classic look of the original but I just don't need all the bells and whistles that come with it.

paulr

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:18:21 »
I think this is a bit much to be honest. You could never leave your top down again and as a sat nav, it will never be as useful as a regular sat nav. Not that I am suggesting you do what I do but, I stick my sat nav on the glove box front between the map light and the seam and have a modern radio, subwoofer and amp behind the passenger seat in that removable box. I have an IPOD lead and a wireless remote that all work fantastically. I have infinity flush speakers in the footwell with tweeters and my original Becker in the dash all for under £300.

Just a thought.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 13:18:27 »
You might consider sticking to an originial Becker Mexico and placing a SIRIUS radio reciever in the car, tune the Becker to 88.5 and bam you got more music, talk, football/sports, etc, etc, radio then you will ever need.  Did it on mine and am very pleased with the radio on long and short trips.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Martijn

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 14:15:04 »
Hi Paulr, I understand your point. It is an expensive unit off course. But the advantage is that you don’t have to fiddle with loose gadgets every time you step in and out of your car, like dismounting your sat nav from the windscreen and hide or remove your Ipod.

Robert, as far as I know Sirius satellite radio is not available in Europe. But there are enough FM radio stations I like to listen to. And it is possible to insert memory cards in this head unit with MP3’s.

I  am just thinking about the idea of installing one. I have read  that many members have a classic Becker radio with an Ipod connection. But I miss the stories about this new Becker radio.

Martijn
Martijn

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 14:42:58 »
Martijn

I had a 7948 installed about a year back and love it. I wrote an article for Pagoda World (#9 I think) in which I said it was great but that I felt - as hauser and paulr suggested - it was too heavy on features. I have yet to use the phone fuctionality, for example. I also suggested that it was a little pricey! [:0]

Full volume is not enough to punch through the noise of a top down 80mph run, but is more than enough for me at 60. Add a roof, and I find the noise it puts out ample. It sounds good, and having converted from a Becker re-build of a Europa II (just sold), it has a much fuller sound, especially for voice. I did not change my speakers.

The GPS sits behind the centre speaker, middle of the dash...with that and the red warning light for the immobiliser which sits at the bottom of the dash... :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 14:48:18 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Martijn

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 15:51:58 »
Hello Tosh,
Thank you for sharing.  I am a new member and the first Pagoda World issue I received was #10. I would love to read your article in PW #9. Perhaps I can ask Cees Klumper if there are still copies available.

I understand that the sound quality at 80 mph is poor, but I think this counts for any sound system at this speed. But perhaps an extra amplifier can add something to the quality. It is possible to fit a subwoofer behind the seats (http://www.hub-car.com/123/?L=1) , but this makes it even more expensive.

I noticed on your picture that you have a backing plate behind the trim plate of the Becker radio. Why is this necessary? Is the trim plate too small to cover the opening in the dashboard?

Is the display readable in bright sunlight?
The space behind the centre speaker is a smart way to hide the gps. I didn't think this was possible. Did you also install a pulse transmitter in the speedometer cable for the speed signal?
BTW, a very nice colour combination: blue with cognac interiour.

Martijn
Martijn

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 21:21:57 »
Martijn,

I applaud you in your search.  I think the new version provides some awesome technology.  I have a re-built Becker Mexico with an i-pod adapter in the front of the unit.  Unfortunately, at highway speeds the quality of the sound is poor.  I also have a new amp behind the front seats and speakers in the foot wells and in the rear compartment.  I'd love to know if the "new" Becker with a new amp would push quality speakers to produce a crisp clear sound at speed.  Good luck with your search and please keep us posted.

Thanks
Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 00:16:54 »
Martijn

I think they built the thing to fit in a smaller slot than in my 280. It needs the backing plate to fill the hole! I can't recall for sure if they fitted a pulse transmitter but think they did.

The thing is very visible and goes "negative" at night, which is good. I had the full iPod installation as well (extra cash...) and that sits in the glove box out of the way but can be fully controlled from the head unit.

All in I think I paid something like £1,500, including fitting. Although to be fair, the installer spent a few hours taking all the old installation out (Europa II with iPod connection, 6 cd changer in the boot, alongside an amp... )
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

grn280SL

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 21:44:19 »
I talked to someone at becker about this radio.  They basically said it was crap, and wouldn't want one if it was given to them.  Apparently it'll be available in the US soon.  Your probably better off with the restored becker mexico with aux input through the rear.. you could wire sat radio, ipod, and just do a small NAV for when you need it.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by grn280SL

I talked to someone at becker about this radio.  They basically said it was crap, and wouldn't want one if it was given to them.  Apparently it'll be available in the US soon.  Your probably better off with the restored becker mexico with aux input through the rear.. you could wire sat radio, ipod, and just do a small NAV for when you need it.

I guess I'm on the opposite side of this discussion.  For starters, if someone wants a really good audio system then why in the world would they drive a Pagoda?  Second, in my previous C203 Mercedes I found that the little arrow directions that appeared in the instrument cluster was much more useful for navigation than the map was -- I don't think the lack of a map display is a big deal.  Finally, having bluetooth solves another problem.  All in one small package.  

Someone mentioned theft as a concern -- wouldn't it be worse if someone stole the grill?  Probably about the same amount of work or less.   Not a car to leave parked anywhere if you are concerned about theft anyway...

My issues with the becker are:
1) I don't think that US maps are available (yet at least)
2) I don't know if the dash has to be cut to accomodate it.   If it does, then that vetos it as an option.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:45:00 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 15:20:40 »
I installed a modern (Pioneer) unit right below my seat, out of sight, with a remote control. These days you can get a good receiver with MP3 capability for very little money and you can tuck it away somewhere like I did, install some good but unobtrusive speakers and you have great sound for relatively little. I kept the old Becker unit in place and it still plays.

Martijn - if you drop me an email with your address I will gladly send you a photocopy of the article written by Tosh.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Tweety

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:29 »
Here I've seen this item :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Becker-Mexico-7948-Retro-Navi-Bluetooth-originalverpackt-ungebraucht-/110951060882?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2035932749231267857%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

In this moment, it seems not to be expensive.

May I get some information about the price you've paid for it? Is it still available in U.S.?

Rolf
(from homeland of pagoda's manufacturing... :D)

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 14:19:52 »
you can spot this radio on e-bay or other places of this kind for 1300-1800$. I got an offer for 800 Euro, but ultimately decided for an original period Becker
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

mylo

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 22:24:27 »
I know I'm a newbie and this may not be completely relevant but I bought a blaupunkt stuttgart from these guys and it works great (it does take some getting used to though). They do also have Beckers for sale from time to time.

http://www.tadpoleradios.co.uk/

I chose not to have the bluetooth option because of the background noise. I also had it fitted by a garage.