Author Topic: Exhaust system hanger question...  (Read 5249 times)

ABikePeddler

Exhaust system hanger question...
« on: January 14, 2013, 00:36:35 »
After months of reading through this site, I have as yet needed to ask for any help as nearly everything is covered somewhere in this sites forums.  I have however run across one topic that has me stumped.  I purchased new rubber donuts to replace the current exhaust hangers that have long ago rotted away but the new ones simply do not fit.  The ones I purchased (part # 107-492-00-82-M16) are far to small to be stretched on to the existing hangers.  I have tried the hot water trick, leverage with tools and even curse words.  Nothing has worked.  It has crossed my mind that the current metal hanger tabs are not the factory original but that does not appear to be the case based on patina and the fact that the current hangers are likely the cars originals or were replaced some 30+ years ago when the original mufflers were replaced.  The current hangers are stretched to more then double the length of the replacement donuts.  The thought that somehow a human being is the stretch the new ones onto the hangers smacks my amateur engineering mind as impossible.  Can someone help direct me to a solution to this dilemma?  I can't believe I was able to completely rebuild this cars fuel and cooling systems and then am thwarted by a pair of rubber bands!

Thanks

Eric   

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Exhaust system hanger question...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:31 »
Eric, perhaps it is the wrong hanger.  The part numbers I have for the hangers, which I got in 2010, are 113 492 00 82 for the central hangers and 112 492 02 82 for the rear hangers.  I'm reading it directly off my invoice.  Someone will correct these if they are wrong or have changed.  I've never seen a 107 part number except on the later cars.  Where did you get them?
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:32:45 »
Hi Eric,

I had similar issue with a project car, I ended up using radiator hangers that are oval shape and fit perfectly in place, a bid thinner but stay exactly where it should. I have a link to the part below.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=epzvec4503bh41bvkqrfy145&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1193341@280SE&year=1970&cid=16@Cooling%20System&gid=11583@Radiator%20Mount

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:19:45 »
Jordan is correct.
There are 2 different sizes.
The Classic Centre or most MB Dealers will sell them to you or get them for you.
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:32 »
I can't give you chapter and book (read: complete part #s) on this, but I had my learning curve a few years ago when I bought some from K&K Mfg.  My experience with the 107-numbered donuts was the same as yours; must be happening to someone somewhere all the time.  My phone queries to K&K resulted in their claim that, for a decade or two at least, they had not stocked or sold any other part for the exhaust application we're discussing here and were pretty certain there never had been any other part for it, ever, period.  But there is a 113-numbered donut, and when I had one in my hand it was easy to realize how silly it is to think that a part which is numbered for a follow-on design would be original to a car manufactured in the preceding decade -- especially a German car.  The one that's appropriate for our cars is thinner and of a larger diameter.  Fitting it is not exactly for sissies either, but is entirely doable, especially with a little leverage of the type you've already employed.

Incidentally, JA17 made a slick & simple tool for this application years ago from a long-shafted screwdriver.  Joe, would you post something to guide us in making our own copies, please? 

I can't access the EPC but can't imagine that the full 113-prefixed part number for the proper rubber donuts is not plainly given there.  My best source for it is on (underneath) the car now, as the correct part carries the number plainly on it, at least when new.  So no, your're 'not insane', Eric; ya gotta trust me on this.  It's like there are two different worlds for this tightly-circumscribed little subject.  It's like ..... like in the movies, man: as soon as you make contact with the world in which the 113 donut exists or is recognized, then everything will seem normal again.

Actually, I mis-spoke: here it is in an old paper parts book: 113 492 00 82.  Same digits as yours except the first group moves the application back to our Pagodas from the follow-on Panzerwagen models -- 107 -- that the donuts you have are meant to fit.  [It's standardized that the first grouping gives the designation of the model on which the part first appeared.  The other digits are decodable too.]  In this manual (#10202) it gives the 113 part's application as being for the rear hanger site and the 112 492 02 82 pair as being for the more forward, or mid-car site, the reverse from how Jordan's source has it.  And FWIW, the 112 part is illustrated as a donut similar to the 107s, while the 113 at the rear is shown as a classic 'racetrack' ellipse.  Further confusing is the fact that I believe I only had and installed round ones ..... and they definitely had 113 part numbers.  So now there are three sizes in play. Isn't this all very helpful? 

Well, the primary takeaway is to toss the 107s; it gets a lot easier after that.  Man!  I remember that I did not care for the first parts of this episode when I went through it on my car.   

1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:30 »
These exhaust must be carefully fitted and installed properly so all pipes and mufflers are positioned correctly, otherwise all kinds of rubber hanger "over-stretch" or "under-stretch" problems can occur.

First of all the two rubber rings in the center of the car are larger than the four in the rear. The easiest way to install the rear rubber rings is to un-bolt the two metal "c" hangers at the rear. These are the ones in front and behind the rear muffler.  One nut on each and they detach from the rear pipes. With the muffler now hanging free and out of the way, install all four rubber rings on the loose  metal "c" hangers. Its easy, with the metal "c" hangers not attached to the pipes. Next just lift the exhaust up in place and fasten the two nuts !  It's quite easy this way.

Now I did make a special tool which makes rubber ring installation easier without any part removal. But that rearmost  rubber ring on the right (between the pipe and rear quarter can be difficult to do without unfastening the metal "c" hanger.

I'll try to post the pic of the tool sometime soon.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback