Author Topic: value determination  (Read 2966 times)

Meg

value determination
« on: March 19, 2013, 16:18:08 »
> Hi -
> Could you please tell me who I could contact to best determine the value of a 1969 280 sl. Assume about 175k miles, four-speed manual transmission, A/C (not working), broken soft top, intact hard top, some rust in the trunk, a few dings and fairly flat paint. Interior rug is great, the seats have some cracks and rips as does the dash. Runs ok.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 23:58:30 by 280SL71 »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: value determination
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 17:43:47 »
Try Roy Spencer at http://www.oursl.com/
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
Re: value determination
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 13:33:40 »
Meg,

Here's a wild suggestion that I think may actually work ... and would make 3 people happy with one Pagoda  ....  there are several folks looking for a Pagoda ... and many of these folks work with Tom Colitt in California to inspect cars before they purchase.  He is well respected and knows his stuff ... I know first hand.  Here's my out-of-the-box suggestion:

1. Contact Tom Colitt and discuss your car.  If it makes sense, hire him to see the vehicle with the intent of not only providing a valuation BUT with the intent of calling his contacts if the vehicle is right for them.

2. If Tom blesses the car, he contacts his clients and "brokers" a sale.   You, the buyer and Tom all get what you want. 

3. If Tom cannot bless for his contacts ... at minimum (and it's worth quite a bit) he provides you with valuation and details about the car that will help to sell your vehicle by knowing what aspects to point out.

The only snag I see (there's always a snag) It looks like you are in the Bay Area and Tom is in So Cal so if you go this route, you may need to coordinate when he's traveling up there, or you can drive the car part way south.

Good Luck,

Tom is listed in the Tech Manual Suppliers Directory, but here is his contact info:  tcolt@netzero.com    USA + 1 323 251-0987
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD