Author Topic: advice on bringing back a recently sitting 230sl  (Read 3373 times)

n/a

advice on bringing back a recently sitting 230sl
« on: July 16, 2004, 18:23:23 »
Hello all,

I just purchased my first 1966 230sl and am looking for advice on re-breaking in an engine which has been mostly sitting for that past twelve years. I have learned from some maintenance records in the car that it has only run for 3400 miles in the last twelve years. It seems to run pretty well but I am not taking any chances with running for long distances until I change all the fluids and lubricants.

Can anyone give me any suggestions or procedures which I should consider to make sure I ease this vehicle back into frequent use.

I have read many posts on your site over the last few days and appreciate the amount of energy each you puts into making this site as useful as it is.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: advice on bringing back a recently sitting 230sl
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 19:56:20 »
yodelbyte,

Hello and welcome to the Group!  I'm glad you read posts before starting your own.  As I am sure you must have read, there is much more to worry about than "changing the fluids".  That's a good first step, considering that means changing:

- fuel & fuel filter
- motor oil & motor oil filter
- antifreeze (including back flush)
- brake fluid
- power steering fluid & filter
- transmission fluid (& filter if automatic)
- rear axle fluid
- fuel injection pump oil

Please check out this discussion thread from just the other day:

http://index.php?topic=1819

Good luck and enjoy!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG