Author Topic: Repaint advice  (Read 3525 times)

Dabrowns

Repaint advice
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:48:51 »
Hello all. I am a newbie having recently acquired a 70 280sl which will need paint. This is my first classic car and it is rust free with exception of a small bubble on a rear panel. Anyway I am getting paint quotes which are all over the map from 5k to 20k. This a  weekend driver car that has already had a full interior done.  Not a show car but again a nice driver example. I am just wondering what people are typically spending on paint jobs? Is it typically necessary to go all the way down to bare metal? Finally, any suggestions for the Atlanta area?

w113dude

Re: Repaint advice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:43:46 »
My friend has a paint shop, he tells me that once he sees a car pulling in he already has a figure in mind to ask the client by just looking at the car and model. I'm sure this applies to many other shops.

If your car has bubbles means rust if they have to take care of the rust before painting that is a lot of labor. If you are looking for a quick respray job just ask for that, given the size of our cars I'm sure you'll find a shop that will do that for about 3K.

Good luck.

lamakdaddy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 14:33:38 »
It costs $2.5k for a full (not bare metal respray) here in the UAE.  Labour in the US is double here and so expect $5k. This includes removal of all trim.  A bare metal is double that.  Any minor repairs will need to be adjusted for (they are never minor :).

RBYCC

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 17:49:22 »
A full quality paint job with minimal body work and removing all the trim should run $6K-$7K.
At this level color sanding should also be part of the paint job.

Material is a major part of the cost.
The latest water based Glasurit 90 System which is used on new Mercs runs about $2300.00

Preparation is everything  ;)

Dabrowns

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 00:29:24 »
Thanks to those who replied. I will be sure to post pics when she is finished.

hauser

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:08:10 »
Have you tried Buds Benz?  They are located in Douglasville, Ga.