Author Topic: Jacking front to fit axle stands - where is safe?  (Read 5823 times)

jedwards

Jacking front to fit axle stands - where is safe?
« on: April 06, 2013, 22:42:36 »

Gentleman,

I have a four ton hydraulic floor jack and I need to get the front of my early 250SL off the ground  in order to rest it safely on axle stands. There is great advice and terrific photos in this forum on where to place the stands safely, but it not entirely clear to me (even after searches) whether it is safe to use the massive engine and front suspension sub-frame between the sump and transmission  as a lifting point to temporarily get the front off the ground.  It need to support the car for about 60 secondly only while I get then stands in place.
Is this safe or is there a better single lifting point that I should use with a floor jack?

Jeff

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Jacking front to fit axle stands - where is safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 23:47:28 »
I believe that is ok if you use some old towels for padding and a wide board to spread the load. Alternatively the factory jack gets the front pretty high, and a board under the baseplate of the factory jack gets some extra height.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

ptooner

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:04:00 »
Jeff I have done this quite a few times (jacking it up I mean) including my present power steering pump overhaul.  What works best for me is a 2x4 about 18inches long on the hydraulic jack which I place on the outer body sill.  Note that this is the same place the factory jack points are located.  Then I place my jack stand and switch the hydraulic jack to the other side.  Rinse and repeat.  This leaves everything clear at the front for me to place my tired body.  Incidentally, a trick I picked up from a neighbor is to use a random piece of old carpet instead of a creeper.  It's a lot more comfortable to lie on, especially if you have to spend a fair amount of time there.
Gerry

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:31:54 »
Its quite safe to lift from where you (OP) suggest. Place a block of wood on the jack if it's a metal rather than rubber surface to provide some grip and to protect the car.  I' carved out a wooden block that fits over my jack lifter to reduce the chances of slippage. Chock the rear wheels, handbrake on, disconnect battery, etc, etc.

If you look at my recent post on rear axle swap you'll see my car jacked on the sills as suggested below. Doing that may provide you more space for the job you're doing.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:20 »
Gentlemen,

My only concern with these methods is that the whole of the front suspension AND the engine is then left hanging by the two bolts that hold the front sub frame to the body. I`m much happier with two jack stands under the front suspension lower control arms. Call me cautious..............

cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 13:50:21 »
Hello George,

Everytime the car is put up on a two post lift, the front and rear suspension are left hanging.  Besides the front suspension sub-frame mounts, the front shocks, the front sway bar,  the front suspension support straps,  along with the steering rods and the support strut all help to hold the frt suspension in the car.

Letting the front suspension hang freely will put strain on the subframe mounts. If they are good they will be fine. If they are weak and dry rotted  then you might fail and tear loose. The suspension will not fall out.

There are numerous places on the very robust suspension where the car can be supported safely. Also if the car is not rusted areas on the chassis are also safe to use a floor jack.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 19:15:03 »
Joe,

Point taken - that's not to say however that if you were under the front of the car and one of the mounts did let go, it wouldn`t scare the c$@p out of you  - rather than crush it out!!

cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)