Author Topic: Events & Shows - Novices & Veterans Advice  (Read 4155 times)

hauser

Events & Shows - Novices & Veterans Advice
« on: July 15, 2004, 23:37:21 »
Due to various reasons I have not had the oportunity to participate in any of the MB or Pagoda events :( .  If I'm out crusing around in my 113, most likely there's no rain in the forcast. If I have to stop somewhere and she's not within view it's going to be a short stop. I always try to keep the Pagoda within sight. I have heard too many unfortunate stories dealing with theft. I also wouldn't want to be reading weekend paper and see my missing parts advertised for sale[:(!]

I would like to hear from our members what precautions they take in preparation to for overnight events or in the case of Starfest a 4 day event.  I know that having an enclosed trailer is probably best.  I would appreciate any and all imput on this matter.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Events & Shows - Novices & Veterans Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 00:06:06 »
I have a good alarm which includes a starter inhibitor. Plus I carry a comprehensive insurance. If the car would ever get stolen (heaven forbid of course) I can buy another one. But I manage not to let my worries interfere with driving the car in any normal way or any normal place. So it has stood overnight in parking lots, I leave it out some nights here in Amsterdam if this is convenient, etc.
Having said all that, it seems the Lo-jack type of theft tracking system would be a good thing - apparently cars stolen equipped with such a system are almost always recovered. There have been steady reports of Pagoda thefts over the past two years here in Europe.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 06:11:49 »
I've taken little to no precautions, other then insurance.  The greatest car thefts are those that "blend in" or those that have a ready market.  Airbags from a Camry, seats from a Honda Accord, etc.  In these parts if someone stole a 113, it would stand out like a sore thumb.  Not to say it won't happen, but I think there is less of a chance of this being stolen then a more modern vehicle.  Some thief might get $500 for a 113 bumper on eBay, but $750 for the set of airbags from a Camry at a local chop shop...

However, a fuel shutoff switch and similar items would work well for joyriders, but not for some professional hauling stolen property on a flatbed!

I've always taken the position with my car, and others before it that it isn't a museum piece but something to be driven.  If you can't enjoy driving it, why bother?

As for Starfest, the two hotels will be providing protected parking, whatever that it...I hope that means they'll be watching a little more closely.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:41:49 »
Lo jack and a good insurance agent. Oh a pit bull in the passenger seat.

Bob Geco

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:27:41 »
There's always a flag that goes off in my head when I see a Pagoda with a VIN that doesn't seem right. Here's one example:

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/inventory/280sl/280sl.html

The VIN indicates a stick, but it's an automatic. There's plenty more that's not quite right, but that immediately makes me wonder.

On another note, it's unfortunate that you have to be cautious at car shows, but it is sometimes necessary -- a friend of mine even lost his hardtop/soft top handles at a Mercedes Club event!

In addition, we have a thread on this site for reporting stolen vehicles, so at least we are being vigilant. A stolen car could end up on the other side of the world and,as it happens, we're over there, too.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220 :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 11:45:19 by Douglas »

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 17:23:05 »
After I sold my 230SL, the new owner reported that the hardtop was stolen.

1969 280SL,Signal Red, A/T, P/S, A/C, Both tops.    Ret. engr.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA