Author Topic: Fuel Pump Wire Protective Sleeve  (Read 4492 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Fuel Pump Wire Protective Sleeve
« on: May 27, 2013, 22:09:24 »
The two wires that feed the fuel pump pass through a vertical hole in the small cross-member just above the fuel pump (at least it`s there on the 230SL).  That hole in the upper and lower surfaces of the cross-member is supposed to be lined with part number A1085460185, which is a rubber sleeve (or protection tube) that protects the wire from the edges of the drilled holes in the cross-member.
The tube is about 2 3/4 inches long and has a flange on the upper end.  The MB price for that protection tube is Euro 23.10 ($30.00 US).  A very similar part is for sale on Ebay for 4.48 $US with free shipping from Hong Kong.  I bought one and I think it's perfect to protect the wire.  The only problem is that it took 6 weeks and 2 days to get from Hong Kong to Quebec, Canada.  I'm still not sorry I bought it.  It was satisfying to save $25 on a $30 part.  It was my kind of deal.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271186584187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Fuel Pump Wire Protective Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:34:00 »
it took 6 weeks and 2 days to get from Hong Kong to Quebec, Canada.

Tom, that problem is either the seller/shipper, OR Canada Post, or both. I've ordered several items from several sellers in HK, and rarely do these small items take more than 5-7 days by regular first-class mail.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:07 »
Hi Michael,
I can`t believe the problem is the seller/shipper.  The little plastic bag (envelope) is clearly address dated 13-04-11 and postmarked 13-04-13 with machine postage of $HK 3.00.  The postmark date is the same as on the email they sent when they said they shipped it.  I can believe that Canada Post is slow, but even on ebay, the seller said it takes four weeks to Canada.  The envelope is stamped Air Mail, but maybe the route to Canada is really via Slow Boat.  Get It?  Slow Boat?  China?  Anyway, I gave them an extra two weeks because I was risking less than $5.00.  It finally showed up in my mail box today and it's what I bought.  I'm OK with that.
Tom

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:15 »
Tom,

I knew it was Canada Post all along, just trying to be kind and not pick on another country's federal system.

I sent out all the Pagoda Style books destined for non-USA addresses "en masse" from here, all leaving simultaneously.  They were all packed on a skid, all sent via a consolidated US Postal Service, destined for many countries on all continents. I was given proof that they left the USA within 48 hours of arrival at the international distribution center. Without exception, the LAST books to arrive were those to Canada, which was geographically speaking, the CLOSEST destinations.  Toronto is only 4 hours drive from here, and these books took many weeks to arrive.  Some of the books to London UK arrived in less than 7 days. Books to France, Switzerland, Australia, even Czech Republic all arrived sooner.  

Even when Dr. Benz sent me a distributor once (he's a mere 90 minute drive from here!) it took nearly 3 weeks. One of the more frequent complaints our Postal Service gets is about mail to Canada.  We have lots of people here in the metro Detroit area with close ties/relatives "across the border" and thus the local post offices see a lot more mail destined for Canada then say, they would in suburban Massachusetts, or rural Tennessee. I guess it is an internal Canadian issue that even Canadians can't seem to solve. They are just very slow to move the mail, particularly international mail.

Anyway that part you received IS important and glad you got it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 13:21:37 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 14:39:45 »
Michael,

The postal system here works just as well as the national health system.  The motto for both is WAIT FOR IT.  Both work the same for me.  Both my restoration project and my health are in the same condition.  As my favorite New Brunswick (Acadian) country singer, Cayouche, says in his lyrics about his condition after a week of drinking, "Il n'est pas mort, mais il n'est pas fort."  Both "mort" and "fort" rhyme with the English word, "for".  It translates to, "He's not dead, but he's pretty weak."   

I slipped the protection tube over the two wires and their terminals on the harness.  The plastic harness sleeve fits snugly into the hole of the protection tube, so there won't be even any chance of moisture getting into the cross-member if something is spilled in the trunk.  I also pushed the tube into the hole in the trunk floor, but not far enough for it to "snap" in place.  There's a slight groove around the tube, just below the upper flange, so it will stay in place once installed.  It will be snug.  I think it will fit perfectly and extend out the bottom about 1/2 inch.  I can't imagine MB making anything better for the purpose.

Tom

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 16:25:08 »
The postal system here works just as well as the national health system.

Yes, I hear the Canadian health system is great, unless you are sick.  ;) Honestly though, the Detroit area health firms do special marketing to Canadians "of means" who prefer not necessarily better service, just faster and are willing to pay for it. But I digress.

That tube you so patiently waited for was my nemesis. You see, when my car was restored, the restorer's labor, instead of disconnecting the wires at said fuel pump, removing the tube and all, and or pulling the wires through the tube, opted to cut the wires and then crimp-splice them...beneath the car.  Worked great, for about 4 years...crimp-splices are a no-no on these wires, and beneath a car certainly! The splices failed, and I replaced said wiring with new wiring, spliced in the trunk and soldered to the harness.  ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 20:33:08 »
Hey Tom,

My electric iron has a rubber grommet like that to protect the wires as they enter the handle.
I remember seeing them in the local local hardware store electrical section.
Lots of appliances have similar wire protectors.

cheers
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best