Author Topic: Cold start problem but only lack of revs  (Read 4085 times)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
Cold start problem but only lack of revs
« on: May 07, 2013, 16:13:42 »
Just recently on cold start the engine will start then die.  Found that if I hold the throttle down a bit it's fine. Seems like the cold valve is working as in the right cold fuel choke but no higher revs to keep it going. After a couple of mins it's fine.  Does the cold start valve raise the cold revs as well? Or something else...? 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Cold start problem but only lack of revs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 19:59:57 »
Hi Paul,

I'm not sure I completely understand the question here...but if your starter-motor isn't turning fast enough (as it sounds like) time to check the starter itself, after you ensure you have proper voltage to the starter.  Clean the "+" cable on both ends and ensure all is well with those connections.

Also sounds like maybe you are not letting the fuel system pressurize; so you start with the fuel from the cold start, but end up with a bit of starvation because the rest of the system has not caught up.  A good way to start the car is turn the ignition "on"; listen for the high pitched whine of the fuel pump, wait a few seconds (I typically wait 15-20) and then crank with no throttle or very light throttle..

On a hot start, you probably don't engage the CSV and also, the fuel system will maintain pressure for some time.

Note, after my car starts, with the CSV engaged, the idle is a bit rough.  If I take off, will drive fine, but I usually let it warm for a few moments. Once warm, the CSV is off, and the idle should be 750-950.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:01 »
Hello Paul,

Check the small air filter on the injection pump. If it is clogged, no additional air will be taken in by the WRD for fast cold idle.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Paul99

• Silver
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:59:29 »
ok thanks.  Yes "fast cold idle" or lack of it is the problem. So will check that.

ptooner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:26 »
Hi Paul, it sounds like your problem is the WRD which is mounted on the upper rear of the injector pump body.  As someone else mentioned, it could be a clogged airfilter (about the diameter of an old half dollar and about an inch deep) but I think that unlikely.  This device gets stuck fairly easily but it's easy to free up and renew.  There is lot's of info on the site about it, just do a search for Warm Running Device.  I recently overhauled mine so if anything isn't clear please post.

Gerry

Paul99

• Silver
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 15:43:07 »
Hi Paul, it sounds like your problem is the WRD which is mounted on the upper rear of the injector pump body.  As someone else mentioned, it could be a clogged airfilter (about the diameter of an old half dollar and about an inch deep) but I think that unlikely.  This device gets stuck fairly easily but it's easy to free up and renew.  There is lot's of info on the site about it, just do a search for Warm Running Device.  I recently overhauled mine so if anything isn't clear please post.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, Yes I believe the WRD is somehow "stuck"  It happened very suddenly, as in one day all was great, next day cold starting was close to impossible. Once running and warm, all fine.

I have the "early" WRD, the one with the long waxstat and the plunger that moves only a few mm.  The one that’s incredibly expensive!  £600 in the UK! So, keen to take the mechanism below the waxstatt apart and try to free it.  The waxstatt its self seems fine. Could you let me know the procedure please?  Don’t want to suddenly find parts flying out un-expectantly.  I assume its remove the fuel line and unscrew the screws holding the unit down and clean up the unit?   Any photos or specifics would be a great help.

Many thanks.
Paul.