Author Topic: The ‘painfully’ stupid oil FI level check on 250’s … a poss solution..? >:(  (Read 5183 times)

MBSwede

Hi all,

Are just in the process of re-commissioning my 250 -66.

One of the most irritating and inaccessible tasks on the checking the FI oil level on the 250.

No wonder MB changed the design for the 280 to eliminate the aggravating searching and fumbling with the dip-stick on these.

Both draining and checking the level is near impossible.

NOW, I know that later MB Diesels with similar pumps have 1. a drain plug and 2. a overflow plug eliminating the need for the dipstick.

MY question: have anyone tried to fit the equivalent to ‘our’ pumps ? … would make life a looooot easier. Drain and fill to right level in minutes

It should surely be possible to fit both drain and level plug in the back lid..?  … I would if I had the pump out ....   anyone tried??

Cheers
Fred

enochbell

Fred,

It's really not that bad if you have a couple of special tools.  I use an oil extractor (mine is Mytivac, but there are others) and vacuum the oil out through the fill hole.  Then I use a 6" piece of the same tubing used for the extraction and stick in on the end of a turkey baster (do NOT tell my wife!) and careful pour fresh oil in the open end of the baster.  You should get a baster that has measurement hash marks.

I have not seen a capacity figure anywhere, but my early 230sl takes 2 1/4 ounces of oil.

Hope that helps.

Greg

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
I use the trigger assembly from a bottle of Mr Sheen and get the oil out that way. (I'm cheap).

I think its about 170ml isn't it? The dip stick is a bore, but probably the lesser of two weevils compared to modding the pump. That's expensive. (from personal experience).

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
The max oil capacity per the BBB is 250ml. I also use the mityvac to remove & too pump in the new oil via the filler hole. The safe range is between 150ml to max 250ml. I put in 230ml.  

enochbell

OK, now we are really in the weeds.  To check the oil level should the dipstick be screwed in to it's seat or should it be checked from the top of the threads position?  Thanks,
Greg

MBSwede

Hi , the dipstick should be screwed all the way down ... and doing that without loosing skin on all my knuckles are practically impossible
,, not least one have to do it 3 times each time the oil is supposed to be checked / topped up /replaced .. which should be done at least every year
+ the exact level of the new oil is pretty hard to spot on the dipstick after a few attempt have smeared oil all over the opening …
MB obviously realized this thus modified the system on the 280...  :(

My idea came partly from a old Swedish manual were they recommend simply to loosen the M6 screws holding the rear lid and drain the pump that way…
+ Diesel guys talking about how the check the level in newer MB’s

If I had a spare lid I would think it would be worth a try …

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
You can easily check the level by making a temporary  dipstick from a cable tie, the oil clings to the grooves and is easily seen.
The dipstick length is approx. 6 cm, and the level mark is about 1.5 cm from the bottom.

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Thanks Paul!
Quite a convenient tool.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)