Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Woes  (Read 4579 times)

n/a

Clutch Pedal Woes
« on: July 14, 2004, 06:19:24 »
Folks,

Just got the SL back from the shop doing the state inspection. I had them install new clutch master and slave cylinders, as well as a new hose. Now the pedal scarcely comes up from the floor and, of course, the car is harder to shift than when I took it in. What did they do wrong, and is there something I can do to fix it?

Frustrated John

John Livingston
Newport News, VA
1968 280SL 4 speed manual

Ben

Re: Clutch Pedal Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 06:43:09 »
Sounds like it needs to be bled properly. Connect the slave bleed nipple to the right hand front brake caliper and pump the brakes. If you do a search you will find it was discussed recently and accurately !

Good luck !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

n/a

Re: Clutch Pedal Woes
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 16:16:06 »
Thanks, Ben. I have to sheepishly admit that I was just outside putting the front up on ramps and got the pedal to pop out to normal height by just putting my foot under it. I seem to remember a post somewhere about part of the pedal assembly that needs lubing now and then. Perhaps that's all it is. I did find the bleeding post (no obscenity intended) you mentioned and will file that for future reference, should it not be just the pedal.

John

quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Sounds like it needs to be bled properly. Connect the slave bleed nipple to the right hand front brake caliper and pump the brakes. If you do a search you will find it was discussed recently and accurately !

Good luck !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

John Livingston
Newport News, VA
1968 280SL 4 speed manual