Author Topic: Detaiing Under carriage: What Suspension parts to order  (Read 2575 times)

lamakdaddy

Detaiing Under carriage: What Suspension parts to order
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:30:21 »
I am about to embark on a refurb of the undercarriage and suspension of a 1970 SL. I need to pre order parts to prevent delays.

If I remove and blast the supspenion components, its likely that I will need to remove bushes etc.  Could anyone list out the items that are  likely to require replacement and a good place to source them.

Thanks

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Detaiing Under carriage: What Suspension parts to order
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50:32 »
Probably all rubber parts: swaybar mounts and bushings, subframe mounts, front and rear spring mounts, motor mounts, transmission mount, trailing arm rubbers, propshaft rubber support, transverse spring mounts, differential rubber mount in the trunk. Also the upper & lower outer control arm kits and maybe kingpins. Do you have service records? Some of the rubber may have already been updated but if it's original it will surely be bad. Genuine parts are the ultimate but I think the German aftermarket parts - Lemforder, Meyle, Febi - are good. I'm not sure whether it would be best for you to purchase from the US or Germany - may depend on the postage and your exchange rate. I guess you would qualify for ex-VAT prices for purchases from Europe and that may have a bearing.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Detaiing Under carriage: What Suspension parts to order
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 00:16:46 »
If you need that much work doing to the car, you should look at joining the MB club for your country, or perhaps an international club like MB UK. That way you'll get access to the Electronic Parts Cataloge (EPC), which may be useful....

Take a look at the Merc Benz UK club website. It's about £40 per year there abouts, but gives access to the EPC as part of the deal.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL