Author Topic: Steering Column Frame Guides  (Read 5768 times)

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
Steering Column Frame Guides
« on: December 21, 2013, 00:47:06 »
Has anyone had an issue with 3 tubes that act as guides for the steering column bolts.  Mine are loose and the column rocks as you steer the car.   These are the guides that go through the frame where the steering column bolts through.  I'm not sure if they were originally welded or my guides are warn and need to be replaced.
JohnS

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Steering Column Frame Guides
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 13:37:37 »
Dear John,

I am confused ... ??? :o ???
Don't understand what you are talking about. I believe to know the (23/250 erarly) steering column pretty well but there are not three bolts...

Please see the attached pic. Are you talking about bolt no. 76 in the lower half pic, the ones which hold the steering gear box to the main frame?
Or are you referring to no. 256 in the upper pic? There should be 5 then in your case (or six in my case).

???

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 15:30:53 »
Quote from: 114015
../...Are you talking about bolt no. 76 in the lower half pic, the ones which hold the steering gear box to the main frame?
If indeed you are referring to the three rather long M8 hex head bolts (No 76) that secure the steering box housing to the car's frame, these are a known issue. In M-B literature there are firm instructions that owners and mechanics periodically should check that these three bolts (in the left wheel housing) are secure, and inspect for cracks or corrosion on the metal of the frame in this area. I believe there was a repair kit from M-B with extra strengthening plates to weld on, as a remedy.
On the cars that I own, I have unscrewed these bolts, and cleaned both bolts and the tube in the frame, and assembled with grease to prevent any corrosion.
 /Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 19:41:19 by mbzse »
/Hans S

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 20:06:18 »
Thanks for your reply.  I am talking about bolts number 76, 3 of them.  There are 3 tubes that slide into the frame, then the bolts slide through the tubes and bolt to the steering box #4.  My tubes are loose and don't know if the tubes are warn or need to be welded in place etc.?
JohnS

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 20:12:38 »
Yes Hans, bolts number 76.  I can remove the bolts easily.  It is the tubes that are loose and I cannot tighten the bolts enough to keep the steering box housing tight enough to the frame.   When I move the steering wheel, the steering box housing rocks and clanks.  I think new tubes  can be ordered but if available, are they a project to remove and replace and do they have to be welded or did the old welds break.  Hard to determine.
JohnS

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 20:58:48 »
Quote from: jszeman1
.../...  There are 3 tubes that slide into the frame, then the bolts slide through the tubes and bolt to the steering box #4.  My tubes are loose.../...
You are in a perilous situation! Car is not roadworthy and is unsafe. Absolutely do not drive the car!
The frame needs to be welded/fixed. Joe A and DanC, or others on this Forum, I'm sure you can comment on this matter
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 03:14:57 »
The tubes are spacers. They prevent the bolts from crushing the hollow frame channel when fully tightened. This area is under a lot of stress from the extreme forces exerted by the power steering. Your car will need to go to a shop that can do repair work on the frame. The area around the spacers will have to be cleaned down to the bare metal so any stress cracks can be found and welded. Any loose tubes will have to be re-welded to the sheet metal frame. Continued use will only cause more stress cracks.

This kind of problem is rare in the pagoda, some big heavy W116 mercedes sedans had issues with stress cracks around these bolts, and a factory re-enforcement plate modification was prescribed. I would have good weld repair done before them metal fatigues even  more.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 21:55:45 »
Thanks for your reply.  Will the factory repair plate for the 116 work on the pagoda?  If so do you have a part number.  That would seem to be the easiest fix.  Do you think I will also need 3 new tubes or just clean up the old ones and re weld?
JohnS

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 13:57:11 »
Here is a copy of an article that appeared in the Technical Topics of THE STAR relative to Jobs No. 924 and 922.  I do not know exactly when the article appeared, but it must have been prior to August of 1990 since my handwritten notes indicate that that was when I performed the task on my 280 SE 4.5.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 15:12:37 »
Hello John,

The re-enforcement plates on the W116 were meant to prevent cracking. Since yours is already cracked, you will have to repair it. I do not know that it would fit on the W113 anyway. The spacer tubes should not need to be replaced unless they are badly damaged.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback