Author Topic: Shell restoration  (Read 7668 times)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Shell restoration
« on: January 09, 2014, 22:00:09 »
Regular readers will know that I am no stranger to restoration but one can always do better.
With that in mind, I want to build a jig for 113 chassis. I have a celette jig and nearly all the brackets for most models post 1986 but none for the 113 and celette will not offer them.
Now, the technical drawings for the chassis are here on this site and I have an engineer who's not a stranger to this site who is willing to make the brackets but neither of us have the ability to use CAD to produce the drawings of the brackets from which to make them.
So, is there anyone here who has that capability? Since this is my business I would prefer it to be a commercial relationship but with an eye to assisting everyone in the long run.
Any takers?
Stick

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Shell restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:31:51 »
I believe Celette jigs for the 113 are available here in the US. Attached is a picture of the 113 that was fitted in Europe with a 6.3 engine on a celette bench.

My shell was just done on a Celette bench but rather than rent fixtures for the lengthy stay my car needed on the bench my metal man built his own fixtures. Since he wasn't repairing crash damage he didn't need all the points and the fixtures didn't need to be as strong as the Celette fixtures.

Here is a fuzzy picture of the car up on the bench as well as a closeup of one of the rear points.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:39:09 »
I have been on touch with Celette and they say they can not offer the correct jigs, hence the need to make some.
All I need is someone to produce the drawings.
Your pictures do illustrate what I need and I believe that once I have those brackets I will be the only facility in the UK to be able to offer such a service.
Whilst I have never needed a jig in the past I can see a time when I'm going to.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 21:06:10 »
Colin,

If you privately email me a hand drawing of the connecting point units and all the dimensions, I can get it correctly drawn up ready for fabrication.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:19 »
Stick,
take a look at these diagrams: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/ChassisBody/Chassis
All the necessary dimensions should be indicated, correct?
These graphs are published in the MB technical handbooks.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 18:58:50 »
If you use the factory drawings remember to drop the datum line to increase the distance between the bench and the car so you have room to work.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 22:21:43 »
Yes, the diagrams are readily available  66 and Blue and the idea to drop the datum is a good one, thanks Shvegel.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 16:08:40 »
Stickandrudderman,
I picture you sitting on your favorite stool next to your Celette reaching out at an imaginary side member "The height should be right about there."  I used to be a frame mechanic many years ago and spent many moments under a car trying to weld or drill something at arm's length cursing out the man who designed the bench.