Author Topic: Hardtop Quarter Windows – Seal & Spacer help please  (Read 6053 times)

jedwards

Hardtop Quarter Windows – Seal & Spacer help please
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:40 »
Gentleman,
I am restoring my hardtop and will shortly commence what I understand to be the very difficult and frustrating job of re-installing the quarter windows.

I took a look at the new seals this morning and it is not entirely clear how these seals and the spacers are correctly installed.
Gernold Nisius’ article on Hardtop Restoration in the Technical Manual make some reference to this , although there is not a lot of information there, and the Black Forest Hardtop restore website skips the installation of the quarter windows entirety.  I have searched the forum extensively and while there is lots of discussion on now difficult this is,  I could not find any definitive step by step guide.
Even the image attached, from the technical manual, provides little guidance on seal and spacer installation. 
I was hoping someone could point me to a more detailed reference, hopefully with step my step instructions  or some photos of how this process is done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Re: Hardtop Quarter Windows – Seal & Spacer help please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:06:24 »
Hi there, the last owner of my 280SL gave me a hard copy of the MB supplement  for changing these. I have attached them in PDF form and would suggest someone more adept than me transfer them into the website manual. The last owner said it was a very difficult job which is unfortunate because he put the old rubber seals back in and also I need to replace the MBtex under the hardtop and it looks like I may need to remove these again, plus the rear window to do this.  Any info on this would be much appreciated too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:58:53 by Peter van Es »
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

jedwards

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:14 »
Fabulous help. Many thanks
Jeff

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:47 »
I've cleaned up, formatted for printing and concatenated the three files Rutger so kindly provided and added them to the Technical Manual.

They can now be downloaded here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/HardTop
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 16:09:22 »
They make it sound so easy!

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 17:22:34 »
Is there a service bulletin for the rear window.

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 19:14:14 »
Hi Guys, pleased to help, the real value is getting them into the manual.  I would also like access to a supplement on removing the back window and replacing the rubber seal.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto