Author Topic: soft top back seal direction.  (Read 4760 times)

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
soft top back seal direction.
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:17 »
My soft top rear seal was missing.  The new one has me wondering which way it goes on!  I tried a few ways and the rubber slot seams to only go one way.  But that way the flap points inward.  It seams more logical that it should point outward!  It would then lay on the chrome boot trim. 

Help, does the flap go out or in??
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: soft top back seal direction.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 18:18:51 »
Take a look in the manual: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop
Scan down to the photo showing the seals for both tops.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 19:51:36 »
Hi Gary,
 Here are a couple of photos of my seal. Flap that contacts the chrome faces outward. Hope this is the info you are looking for.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 20:42:19 »
Thanks, it is really hard to see.  Just remembered I have the hard top I can  look at.  I'm sure it has the seal.  The words are good.  It just didn't want to go on facing out.  The molded-in slot seems to fit much better with the flap facing inward, but then the flap sits on paint on the sides of the boot.

Gary

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 23:51:07 »
 ???  Hard to see?

Did you forget to wear your eyeglasses?  ;D

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:14:49 »
U are funny ::)  U are showing the round seal for the catch. sure I can see that.  And the round seal to plug the hole in the hard top.  Obviously, its hard to understand. :-*

U are thinking wrong, as u so kindly told someone else here not too long ago.  And invited him to join a class to learn more about these cars? 

As your pictures clearly show, there should be no doubt which way that cone-shaped round washer goes.  So you must be joking.  I see you put the labels exactly on top of the seals we referenced , not on the round once you reference.  but just in case you are serious... 

That round cone-shaped washer is not the Soft Top Rear Seal at the deck lid, is it? 

Hmm, why would I say I can see which way my hard top seal is oriented when as you point out, our hardtops don't have the cone-shaped round washer, as you clearly point out that's not too hard to see.

Hard top, no catch, no round seal.  And if it did, what do you think 'facing outward' and 'facing inward' would have to do with a cone-shaped round washer-like seal?  Do you THINK that maybe it can 'face up' or 'face down'.  I guess you could think a cone pointing outward or inward, but as it fits over the latching post, I can't SEE it.  And, as it fits on that stud, it is pretty-much, self-orienting, flap down around the post, neither inward or outward.

I just checked the orientation of my Hard Top rear seal and it's flap points OUTWARD. But it is cloth covered as in your hard top picture.  But I don't see cloth on your soft top rear seal, nor mine.  Mine is smooth rubber with a mounting bead and a flap running the length of the seal.  BTW, I can't tell which way your soft top rear seal is facing, either.  Hmm, hard to see... maybe you can look closer and tell me which way yours is facing?? ;D

Is that the round mounting bead next to the post or is that the flap?  Both are kind of rounded, scrunched there at the post.  But the mounting brackets' edges join very close to the post, exactly where your bead seems to be.  As I said before, its hard to see, even in your close-up. 

I'm thinking now, your picture does show the orientation of the flap on your soft top rear seal.  It seems to face inward.  Is that the bead next to the post, or is that the flap?  Hard to see.   The flap is the thin lip that you can lift with a blade and it will flap back.  The mounting bead is the round bead with a curved slot running along the length.  The slot goes over the serrated edge of the four chrome mounting strips.  The question is: does the flap point toward the post or away from the post?  Or, is the bead next to the post and the flap away?  Where's my glasses?

As 49'r said, and as my hardtop shows, your soft top rear seal could be on backwards.  I've just reversed mine and we'll see how it shapes up tomorrow, but at least now, it sits on the chrome surround all the way around the deck lid.  It seems backwards when it sits on the paint near the hinges and transitions across the chrome at the curves, pointing inward all the way around the lid.

Thanks, it was fun, no apology needed.  I just wonder how you know I wear glasses ::)

And that is a fine new looking post seal. 
Gary