Author Topic: AC restoration  (Read 5649 times)

n/a

AC restoration
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:38:27 »
Having gained alot of confidence in my upholstering skills after recovering all my dash pieces, I decided that I never liked the black unfinished look of my under dash A/C evaporator. Mine is not the Frigiking, instead its a popular aftermarket unit (SCS/Fridgette sold by Buds and probably others) but the plastic appearance I thought was cheesy and (lacking insulation) would sometimes form moisture condensation on the outside.

First I wrapped all the cold areas with 1/8" Armaflex insulation (self stick tape). Next I covered everything in Bamboo upholstery to match my interior. What do you think?
Download Attachment: ac1.jpg
73.74 KB
Download Attachment: ac2.jpg
72.13 KB

I now plan to convert the unit to R-134A (was R-12 freon) with new barrier style hoses, beadlock fittings, new descicant/receiver, larger condenser. My Sanden 508 compressor will be reused with new service ports, also reuse the expansion valve.

Here is a "before" picture from Buds which is not very detailed, maybe thats done on purpose to hide the plastic appearance!
http://www.budsbenz.com/cart/showproduct.aspx?productid=3&SectionID=6

Mike McMahon, Baltimore MD
1970 280SL 4-speed manual
olive green ext, bamboo int

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: AC restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:46:50 »
Great Job--are you sure you have not missed your calling as an "interior restoration expert"?
Where did you find the Armaflex tape as shown?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

n/a

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 10:23:41 »
Local HomeDepot or Lowes should have Armaflex rolls. This is a high density black foam, easily cut and shaped, very useful to replace all those internal gaskets of the heat/defrost duct system which tend to disintegrate and clog up the outlet grilles.

quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Great Job--are you sure you have not missed your calling as an "interior restoration expert"?
Where did you find the Armaflex tape as shown?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored

mal

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 12:28:19 »
I Did the same thing to my Ac unit and it really looks much better

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/mal/200488154947_Front%20Speakers.jpg

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Silver/Red

hauser

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 17:35:41 »
Looks like you did a very nice job. You have succeded in giving it a nice custom appearance.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

George Davis

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:28:02 »
Mike and Mal, those look great, impressive work!  I have the same unit as Mike and agree it's quite plasticky, but in my car with black interior it doesn't stick out so much.  However, I do need to do something about the condensation and will check out the Armaflex stuff.

Mike, my system uses R-134a and has a modern, higher efficiency condenser which is actually slightly smaller than the unit Bud's supplied with the kit.  I had to go a bit smaller to get it to fit in the tight space in front of the radiator.  Works quite well.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:59:52 »
George,
You might try applying the Armaflex to the INSIDE of your evaporator box. Obviously that means opening (and later closing) the box casing. I did not do this, since I was planning to recover in MB-Tex, I insulated externally.

I am looking at my options on condensors, probably will choose a parallel flow unit with smaller dimensions but higher hear rejection.
Where did you buy yours? Any model# or specs? How is your discharge air temp with 134-A? Do you use stock compressor (Sanden 508)?

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 09:01:32 »
Mike,

I installed the Bud's a/c kit.  The only id on the compressor is that it's an ICE unit.  It's a small rotary type.

The condenser I got is parallel flow, don't have the make or p/n with me now but can look it up over the weekend.  I got it at a local radiator/air conditioning shop.  Dimensions are about 11" high by 12" or 13" wide.

I haven't checked the outlet air with a thermometer, but subjectively speaking, it isn't ice cold.  However, it's cold enough to do the job.  I usually run it at 75% to 100% of the full cold setting, and on the 1st or 2nd fan speed.

I'll try to have better info on Monday.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

George Davis

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 11:25:02 »
Mike,

boy, was I wrong on the condenser dimensions.  The condenser referred to below is a Frigette part, p/n 203-351, price $128.  Dimensions are 14.25" high by 22" wide.  I had to call the shop I bought from to get the make, and they said they'd be happy to supply it, they ship everywhere (I have no affiliation with them), but you can probably get it locally.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual