Author Topic: Front suspension rebuild  (Read 2780 times)

bongo666shaftsburry

Front suspension rebuild
« on: April 25, 2014, 23:18:03 »
So it looks like I probably have a bad rod bearing on #6 of my M129.  I'm awaiting the verdict from the machine shop regarding the viability of rebuilding my M130 engine which I unfortunately allowed to accumulate some rust in the cylinders (enough to spend two weeks  pouring various concoctions into it before the pistons unfreezed). Either way, I need to either drop the subframe all the way to replace the engine or drop it enough to remove (or slide forward) the crank pan to take a look at the #6 rod bearing. If the bearing looks and measures OK I'll put another bearing in there (new or good looking used one (how crazy is that?).  If not, then I would like to pull out the crankshaft with the engine in place--is that doable?--and have it machined.
If the subframe has to come out I have the one from my no longer extant w108 which I could rebuild while I'm waiting for the other engine.  The king pins are good. I know I need to replace the large conical subframe bushings.  But what about all the other bits? There are upper and lower, inner and outer parts. In a complete overhaul does one replace all those or just the rubber parts associated with them? All I have seen are complete kits, no individual rubber parts. Is that because one should replace these in their entirety?  For example, the double o-rings on the upper outer cam bolts are trashed but i have not seen these apart from the entire eccentric bolt kit. Rather than paying a couple of bucks for these it looks like I'll have to spend ~$100.  And so on.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Front suspension rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:42:38 »
I think you're making work for yourself by not pulling the engine.
You should indeed replace all rubber parts and most are available as individual items.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Front suspension rebuild
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 14:05:25 »
Sorry about the rod bearing.  How did  you finally track down the source of the problem?  Also after bearing failure, there is virtually no chance just replacing a failed bearing will be a successful fix. The crankshaft always gets damaged and too much metal circulates to other parts of the engine.

Yes you can order all the rubber parts for the front suspension separately.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback