Author Topic: Brake Fluid after rear axle rebuild  (Read 2674 times)

Rodolfo

Brake Fluid after rear axle rebuild
« on: April 27, 2014, 15:31:29 »
I have a 230 sl (disc and drum brakes). I am busy refurbishing the rear axle. So the complete rear came of the car. This week I will reinstall the rear. So I will reconnect the brake lines in the back. In the front I did nothing on the brakes. I don't know what type of brake fluid is in the car: I bought the car in very good condition last year.

Questions:

1) with which type of brake fluid would I do not harm when I add it to the existing in the reservoir?
2) Or should I renew all brake fluid?
3) any special suggestions or concerns for bleeding the drum brakes after the reinstallation of the rear axle?

all help is very much appreciated,

Rudy

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Brake Fluid after rear axle rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 16:58:51 »
I'd recommend that you should certainly drain and replace all the brake fluid. You should do it every 2 years anyway, so it makes no sense not to do it now. Do the clutch whilst you're at it.

Use DOT 4 fluid. Don't use a silicone based one (DOT 5).

Bleed the brakes as normal, starting with the nipple furthest from the master cylinder. I have used a Gunson easy bleed to great effect as I end up doing this on my own. They're cheap and provided you follow the instructions I get perfect results every time. (If you do use this, ensure that the tyre you're connecting to has no more than 10 PSI or you'll end up with brake fluid everywhere). If you're going to do the pedal method make sure you have a block under the clutch pedal to avoid over-extending the piston in the master cylinder.

Out of interest, how did you do the alignment of the rear axle when you put it back on? Did you follow the various methods on the site, (pipework frame, or the plumb bob).

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Rodolfo

Re: Brake Fluid after rear axle rebuild
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 18:22:39 »
James,

thanks again for your help and attention. At this moment I have the differential with new bearings and 3.27 installed and pinion adjusted,etc. In 2 days I will connect again the right axle to it (First I need a new 14 mm hexagon M 8 bolt for the U joint). Then of course it is time to reinstall to the car.

For the alignment:

I still have the so called lateral support strut attached to the car at the same position. This should in theory put the rear axle assembly back in place. To control that I was thinking of using some cross-laser equipment which I recently bought for renovating an appartment. If it doesn't convince me, I will do the plumbers job. Could be of course, I will discover I need to go deeper in the subject only once I am under the car.

best regards, Rudy