Author Topic: window crank fixing  (Read 4311 times)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
window crank fixing
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:57:40 »
Hi all!
My window cranks are the late style with the big knob and chrome ring (late 280 SL).
The knob doesn't hold in place due to axle (and plastic knob) wear.Any thought on how I could fix it (neoprene glue ?) as this crank is NLA from my current dealer?
I saw the plastic cover on the top (with the ring) was removable, if this helps...?
Thanks for advice!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 14:06:04 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: window crank fixing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:15 »
Replacement window cranks are readily available on ebay.  You need to know if you have the big knob style that is held in by a screw or the big knob style that is held in by the crank insert itself.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:13:33 »
Thank you Scoot, I already noticed some vendors sell those cranks on ebay, but only a few of them offer the right ones (i.e. the clip-on style) with the appropriate insert.

Moreover, I would have liked to keep my original handle if possible as only the knob is damaged.
When inspecting the faulty knob, it appears that the black plastic has worn out , probably because of "off-axis" stress as my windows can sometimes be hard to wind up when soft top in on.
As a result, the opening is too wide and the knob gets loose on the crank fitting (the translucent plastic part).

So, after various attempts with neoprene glue and trying to fit an o-ring clip from the inside, I eventually used a heat gun to soften and then re-mold the black plastic, trying to get back as close as possible to the original shape and diameter of the original opening.

Well, result is not too bad; the knob doesn't disengage anymore when cranking!

Anyway, i feel time for replacement might be coming sooner or later, and I'd better order some new "crank + insert combo" just in case...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:31:53 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:40:30 »
Thank you Scoot, I already noticed some vendors sell those cranks on ebay, but only a few of them offer the right ones (i.e. the clip-on style) with the appropriate insert.

The clip on style is the later style which is actually the easiest style to get as it is common to lots of W114/W115 cars.  The big knob screw-on one is the difficult one as it is only for a couple of years.

Moreover, I would have liked to keep my original handle if possible as only the knob is damaged.
When inspecting the faulty knob, it appears thet the blac plastic has worn out , probably beacause of "off-axis" stress as my windows can sometimes be hard to wind uo when soft top in on. As a result, the opening is too wide and the knob gets loose on the crank fitting (the translucent plastic part).
I would expect that you can get a perfect crank for $20 to $50.  You can use your old crank insert.  You just need to find someone who wants to sell a late-style crank for a reasonable price.  People have mountains of these and if you put out the word someone will help you out.  Or if not, ebay will help you out.  This should be a high $$$ item.

cheers
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 16:17:40 »
You're right, finding a late style crank is imho no problem (SLS supplies a replacement for those, but the knob is not correct for a 113 ,it's from the 107, the chrome rim is not on the top surface but on the circumference).Getting the right insert is a bit more tricky, but I eventually found one on ebay, which is, as you said, $25 for crank and insert (+$5 shipping)...
Philippe from Paris

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 16:30:15 »
I have a container of early and late style inserts in various colors.  Occasionally I sell them on ebay for $20+ each (for colors) but for now I'm just collecting parts it seems.  Busy with other things.   I always try to grab the good inserts when I find them.    A really good one to get is the insert that goes to the toneau release crank on a 107.  The release for that is a LONG window crank, about an inch longer but looks just the same and has an insert that is just the same but long. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 16:42:08 »
Ok, Scoot,good to know that. So maybe I can call upon you if I can't get the right one? ;)
Philippe from Paris