Author Topic: Door Locking Mechanism  (Read 3411 times)

Markbhai

Door Locking Mechanism
« on: June 04, 2014, 21:39:59 »
Does anyone have a door locking mechanism for a 230 right hand side?

I know I can get a new one online for around £250 but looking to see if anyone has a spare one available.

Mine will lock from the inside only and I have noticed a broken spring in this mechanism, so assume that is the cause.

Regards

Mark.

jedwards

Re: Door Locking Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:17:02 »
Its been a while but my recollection is that the door lock is activated  by the internal and external method via the same mechanical process.   The internal rod moves the lock engagement and the external one uses a “finger” on the key tumbler to move the same piece. 
If the internal lock works fine but the external does not, then it might be worth looking  to see if this is not just a matter of adjustment  before spending a lot of money on a new lock.
Just a thought.

jpinet

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37:33 »
I agree with Jedwards. These are pretty tough mechanisms. Can you unlock the door from outside? Check for binding in the rod where it goes through the rubbers on the door frame. It should be well lubricated there. There is a finger at the end of your lock that runs between two bars on your door mechanism. When you turn your key, the finger moves the mechanism inside your door one way or the other to lock and unlock. That finger is attached by one screw to the end of your barrel. If it has become loose, it is possible that it does not reach the bar anymore. Where is that broken spring you are mentioning? At the handle end or at the lock end? I had a broken spring that I was able to replace. Personally, I'd try to fix this before thinking of replacing the whole thing. It is not a complex system. But when you think about it, it's not such a bad thing. It prevents you from locking the door with your keys in the car. You can simply lock your door from inside before leaving the car. As long as you can unlock it from outside, of course!

Lars G

• Regular
  • Sweden, Skane, Malmoe
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 21:20:12 »
The  lockig mechanism is the same as on the W110 for a 230, on later cars they are common with W115. Try to find one on a scrap yard. Prices tend to be lower if you say that you are looking for a lock to a W 110/W 115  rather the saying that you are looking for a part to a Pagoda!

Good luck
Br
Lars
1971 W113, 280 SL, Silver (180 G), Dark red (242)
1971 W115, 200, Ivory (670 H), Brown
2006 C169, A150 Polarsilver (761U)
2015 W176, A180, Kosmosblack
2015 X218, CLS400 Shooting brake, Obsidianblack

Markbhai

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 22:15:52 »
The main issue I have is that I can't unlock from the outside and in trying to do so the key becomes trapped in the lock.  If I try turning the key there is no movement leading to stress on the key and the fear of it breaking in the lock.

The spring mention is in the locking mechanism itself (the barrel works fine if the mechanism isn't attached). If you look at the mechanism from the inside there seem to be parts riveted together and the spring is on the inside of these levers so seems inaccessible.

Thanks for the info about a w110 mechanism, maybe I should look for that.

M.