Author Topic: Leaky Fuel Pump from Electrical Connection?  (Read 4279 times)

Theclaw

Leaky Fuel Pump from Electrical Connection?
« on: June 20, 2014, 19:20:06 »
I noticed a fuel leak a while ago and got underneath and noticed it was coming from the fuel pump. The picture looked a lot like this,

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12030.0

I sighed a bit of relief when it looked like it was just a simple tightening of the hose clamp. Did that, drove around some then a few days it's back.  I got under there, dried it all off and noticed that fuel was slowly coming from the negative (-) terminal of the pump!

Not sure how that could happen.  I would think the motor is sealed from the pump.  I've looked at the rebuild page located here,

[url=http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Fuel/FuelPumpRebuildEarly]http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Fuel/FuelPumpRebuildEarly

Am I looking at a rebuild?

I also noticed the shield was chewed up a bit at one time.  I received the car from my father who has owned it since the '70's. I do not recall seeing anything in the records about a fuel pump issue. Do I have the proper pump in there?

Thank you very much,
Jeff

Theclaw

Re: Leaky Fuel Pump from Electrical Connection?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:04 »
I've been doing a little more digging (I'm new around here and not so familiar with this car) and it seems like I have a replacement fuel pump.  Is there a resource out there depicting the procedures to rebuild the replacement pump? Bud's Benz has a rebuild kit. Just need a few tips on the rebuild.

thankyou,
jeff

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 13:50:45 »
Quote from: Theclaw
Is there a resource out there depicting the procedures to rebuild the replacement pump?.../...
The leak you describe is due to a non-sealing O-ring behind the electrical terminal(-s). The info you request for rebuild of the pump depicted in your posting is in the tech manual in this Forum; under pump rebuild /late (short) pump
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

Theclaw

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 15:29:43 »
Thanks Hans! Got it.

Theclaw

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 23:29:27 »
replaced the O-Rings in my fuel pump. It took a little while to start it. Like, a long while. But I could hear the pump turning. I guess it just needed a long time to deliver pressure to the motor. All good. Thanks for the help.

Theclaw

It's Getting Worse! Re: Leaky Fuel Pump from Electrical Connection?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 18:57:57 »
Got more problems. I used the O-ring kit from Bud's Benz to rebuild the pump but today, less than 24 hours later, I'm getting more seepage. It looks like i need to dab some sealant behind the plastic mounts for the electrical connections.

However.....as I disassembled the pump, I noticed the seals were noticeably larger than the ones I removed yesterday. I've attached some pictures. I thought its unusual for the seals to stretch that much in less than a day. Not sure I got the right parts and I'm double checking with Dave and Bud's Benz. In the meantime, I thought I would ask you all if you have had the same experience.

Thank you,
Jeff

KevinC

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 20:47:55 »
Jeff...try sending a PM to member George Desiderio (George Des). He has a great deal of knowledge on these pumps and also keeps a stock on some parts too. 

Theclaw

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:30 »
will do, thanks Kevin.