Author Topic: Sun visor situation 2015  (Read 2484 times)

hdhardyb

Sun visor situation 2015
« on: February 16, 2015, 23:23:28 »
I thought I'd share my experience finding new original sun visors for our 1970 280SL.
While the sun visors for the 230 SL and early 250 SL are still available both from MB and elsewhere, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the original visors for the later models.

The classic center still has the left visor (113-810-07-10-8001) in stock for $456.00 list price, but only in "cream" (color code 8001). The other colors (gray and tan) are no longer available from MB, as was discussed elsewhere in this forum.

The right visor is no longer available at all from Mercedes.
The were actually two version of the late right visor:
113-810-08-10  (without mirror), and
113-810-10-10  (with mirror).

Some places (not many) may still have a few of those in stock. I bought one with mirror (important for my better half) recently at authentic classics. It is great! But beware, when I just checked their website I saw that they now about doubled the price of that part.

As per the MB parts labels, the "new" visors that I bought were made in 2005 and 2006 in France. I am not aware that any visors were made much after that, so they will soon be out of stock everywhere.

I just hope that MB will make new visors for our cars because the visors definitely need to be replaced from time to time.

Of course there are a number of reproduction visors available from various sources, for example from SLS Hamburg. But I find that they look quite a bit different than the original visors.

Should I put my new visors in the bank for now, instead of installing them? It is a pity that the price rally of W113 parts makes you think those things.