Author Topic: Imports- "Private Sale"??  (Read 3092 times)

iftykhan

Imports- "Private Sale"??
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:29 »
There seem to be an increasing number of cars being imported from America and Europe into the UK, which I don't have a problem with.
With the prices of decent RHD pagodas hitting new highs pretty much on a monthly basis, I appreciate a LHD vehicle is going to be more affordable/appealing for some.
However, alot of these cars are advertised as "Private Sale" which I find a little annoying.
I see the same sellers details popping up all over the place and on a regular basis.
Maybe it's just me but these people obviously are dealers and I find the whole thing a bit suspect.
If they can't be honest about the fact they are dealers, how honest are they going to be about the cars themselves?

Ifty

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Imports- "Private Sale"??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:44:23 »
You should report any suspicious activity to Trading Standards. They do monitor the likes of ebay and look for repeated adverts of a similar nature by the same seller claiming to be "private" and will readily prosecute offenders.
That said, it doesn't really matter who you buy an import from, you're never going to get a guarantee with it.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 17:02:22 »
Fairly common in the US as well.  Many states have laws that only allow you to sell a few cars a year without having a dealers license which usually requires bonding etc so there are a bunch of people who tend to try to "Fly under the radar."

iftykhan

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 17:28:44 »
It just bugs me when you read the same old BS!

"Bought this for myself but change in circumstances etc....."

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:57:06 »
Speaks volumes about their business practices.