Author Topic: My hood (bonnet) doesn't want to stay up  (Read 3990 times)

GiulianoSL

My hood (bonnet) doesn't want to stay up
« on: January 25, 2015, 13:40:21 »
I'm trying to fix all the little imperfections of my '69 280 SL but i can't really solve this problem with my hood. I believe i mounted everything in the right way, but the torsion bar slips over every time and is impossible to work without blocking the hood with something else. It really looks like a spread problem but searching the forum i couldn't find a definitive answer. Did someone had and solved this problem?
Thank you
Giuliano

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: My hood (bonnet) doesn't want to stay up
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 16:28:14 »
The grey block on the outside of the hood (where the torsion bar is going down to meet the resting stay) is in the wrong place. That block should be on the far side of the hood just above the air cleaner housing.

Photos attached. The first two show the grey blocks at the left side of the hood. The third is the right side, by the air cleaner intake.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 16:38:00 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

GiulianoSL

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 13:17:47 »
Thank you very much! I hope that it will solve the problem!

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 17:57:27 »
Hi,

In addition to what Jonny B noticed, at first glance the torsion bar looks a little twisted but in a strange way.
From your pictures it looks that the left section of the torsion bar that enters into the holding block on the inner fender
sits upside down,  it seems to have  been forced 180 degrees around.. Not sure if/how thats possible, but that is what it looks like.

Hans
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

GiulianoSL

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 19:47:21 »
Hi,

In addition to what Jonny B noticed, at first glance the torsion bar looks a little twisted but in a strange way.
From your pictures it looks that the left section of the torsion bar that enters into the holding block on the inner fender
sits upside down,  it seems to have  been forced 180 degrees around.. Not sure if/how thats possible, but that is what it looks like.

Hans

This problem was linked with the wrong assembly of the grey supports, the strange torsion of the bar was caused by the grey block that prevented the tosion bar to stay in the right position. Now the problem is solved, thank you both very much!
Giuliano