Author Topic: question on split type rubber bellow on 280SL  (Read 3555 times)

bkksl

question on split type rubber bellow on 280SL
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:25:16 »
I am replacing the axle rubber bellow at the pivot point, I replaced with split typed rubber belllow. I can only ordered the rubber bellow but can not find the original fastener that hold the splitted part together so I use metal band hose clamp. After that I found that there are grease leaking out.

1) Is this bellow suppose to hold liquid lubricant or just grease? ( it doesn't seems to have a very tight seal)
2) What is the original clamp for split type rubber bellow look like?
3) For the maintenance how do we grease the parts inside the bellow? do we need to take it out every once in a while?

Rodolfo

Re: question on split type rubber bellow on 280SL
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:36 »
It seems you have the complete axle apart from the car. Then you would better place a normal belows (not the splitted one).
The "parts" inside are greased with the oil from the differential.

bkksl

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:36:20 »
Thanks for the info, sorry forgot to mentioned that the picture was taken from internet to point out the rubber bellow part as my car is a garage. The axle is still attached to the car.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 15:39:03 »
Here is some good information on the subject..................
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?action=search2

In general, leaks are usually caused by poor installation or over-filling of the unit. Also make sure that the vent is not plugged up with dirt. Make sure the axle tubes are loaded and parallel to the ground before checking the level. If you let them hang down you will over-fill it. Besides the rubber bellows clamps, clips are used to hold the seam of the split axle boot together. A special tool was used to install the clips but they can be installed with other standard tools if necessary. At present time,  Mercedes no longer supplies the original clips so the special tool is no longer relevant unless you find some NOS clips. Instead standard upholstery hog-ring clips are now supplied by Mercedes. Standard hog-ring pliers can be used to install them. Mercedes crazy cost on these hog rings is $9.00 ea. !

I found a box-type metal staple which resembles the original clips. I do a minor modification to them so they are nearly identical to the originals. In this way I use my original factory tool to install them instead of the hog-rings. However the hog-rings should work just fine. It is normal for some slight seepage to occur at the boot seam even after correct installation. Some owners will use an adhesive to seal the seam. This is not recommended by MB but seems to work fine. Be aware that the front pinion seal of the rear differential is also a frequent source of leaks.

It is very difficult to install the split axle boot with the axle in the car when the fuel tank and/or the axle cross-spring in place. But it can be done.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 23:22:14 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback