Author Topic: tail light assembly  (Read 3293 times)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
tail light assembly
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:04 »
Hi everyone,
the tail lights have often been discussed and there's quite a lot of info in the TM. What I'd like to ask about is whether the bulb-socket-holder-plate is generally considered to be part of the tail light assembly. I looked at a number of aftermarket parts websites and I get the impression you do not get the bulb-socket-holder-plate included if you buy a tail light assembly. It includes the lens, the chrome bezel and the inner reflector, usually with the gasket.

Does that make sense? The TM says Mercedes always sold the tail light assembly with the bulb-socket-holder-plate. Update: I asked the parts guy at a nearby Mercedes dealer, and he said Mercedes wants CDN$1500 for each assembly, left or right. The parts diagram he referred me to is ambiguous but it looks like that includes the bulb-socket-holder-plate. Oh, to be a rich man in the world today!

Also, while I'm asking, regarding the chrome bezel around the tail light: what's it really made of? Steel? Brass? Plastic? Any comment on whether the modern reproductions are good enough, or is it a better idea to re-chrome an older one that might have been made of higher-quality material?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 17:37:24 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Jkalplus1

Re: tail light assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 17:14:31 »
Hi PJ,
Placage Royal in Québec City (you can check my thread in Vendors experiences sub-forum) rechromed my taillight bezels last month.  It was relatively inexpensive because they were in excellent shape, no pitting, therefore minimizing the amount of expensive hand work that makes good chrome expensive.  The chrome is better than what I have seen new.  An artisan's work as opposed to a mass-produced (but still great) item.  I would say get yours rechromed if they are in good shape and you can afford it.  New ones (repro?) can be had around 230$ each according to my research when I was looking at upgrading mine, which is significantly more than I paid to get them rechromed.

What you can do is drop them an eMail with a picture of the taillight bezels (they recently did mine so they are used to working this particular part), you can say you want them the same quality as mine, and they might give you a price estimate then, but the owner Yannick Couillard informs me he will quote a firm (all inclusive) price when he has the parts in hand, at which point -if you have an agreement- he will plate the parts and mail them back to you COD with Canada Post.  He can also polish plastic lenses.  There is no point in calling him on the phone unless you can communicate in french -he does not speak a word of English.  This could explain -in part- the lower prices and quick turnaround: their market being limited to french speaking locales, they might not be flooded with orders from afar, as many customers like to speak in person to the shops that will perform work on their expensive cars. 

What metal are they made of?  I am not sure if it is pot metal like the handles, I suspect steel (check with a magnet).  I am fairly certain it is not brass due to the low weight.  I am sure the info is in the archives somewhere.

Good luck,
Jerome