Author Topic: Indoor soft car cover  (Read 7964 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Indoor soft car cover
« on: March 15, 2015, 21:17:54 »
Can anyone recommend an indoor (in-garage, actually) soft car cover for the 113? UK/europe manufacturers, please. Needs to be breathable and the primary purpose is to keep dust off the car. Ideally tailored for the car.

Grateful for any opinions.

Thanks.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Jowe

• Silver
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Gothenburg
Re: Indoor soft car cover
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 21:28:05 »
Check out these:
http://www.kfz-schutzdecken.de/Car-Cover-fuer-Mercedes-230SL-280SL-Pagode
I have the Universal Lightweight and very happy with it. Also their HT stand.
Johan
04/1964 230SL, European, manual 4-sp, power steering, 050/050 white, black leather, Blaupunkt (SOLD)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 21:50:58 »
Johan,

Many thanks. That's really helpful.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 16:25:31 »
James
When I bought my car, it came with a cover and a hardtop stand/cover

I've always wondered whose they were and now I know where SilverArrows got them... Cover works v well and is far cheaper than a Covercraft version
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:10:46 »
Several bed sheets sewn together to make up the desired length work very well and are far less expensive than anything available commercially.

iftykhan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:03:25 »
I ordered mine through Hamilton Classic.
Very pleased with quality and service.
They also have a very good advise section on indoor and outdoor covers on their website.

Ifty

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:41:03 »
Second the bed sheet thing :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 13:57:33 »
To take along on trips this one to keep the inside clean and preserve the seats (shield from sunlight) is a good one,

----> http://www.kfz-schutzdecken.de/Car-Cover-Outdoor-Waterproof-for-Mercedes-230SL-280SL-Pagode_1

was mentioned during one of the past PUB sessions. Anyone purchased one here in North America?

On the other hand putting up the soft top works also, only is not as quick as putting this one on for 2 hours or so to protect the inside when parked.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 18:06:42 »
So on the bed sheet plan, can I just run this past the esteemed readership to see if some of you fellows have really thought this through:

I cut up a perfectly decent set of our silk bedding, hand-woven by Celestial Virgins on ancient looms hewn from the very timbers that formed the ceiling of Noah's cabin, or the Cross. (I assume that's how they are produced; there could be no other rational explanation for why they cost so much).

I then get onto John Lewis (for the Colonials, it's a nice shop in London) and procure a sewing machine for Mrs Howard, that, presumably, I gift at a significant temporal event later this year, whilst suggesting that she also learns how to use the thing.

Within 4-6 months, having - assemedly - managed to talk her out of a divorce for daring to suggest that (a) she learns to sew, (b) giving a sewing machine as a present is actually demonstrative of great endearment, is an extremely romantic gesture, and in no way bears any resemblance whatsoever to the now infamous Magimix-gate of Christmas 2012, and (c) that my car would look better under our sheets than she does, I further assume that I'd be in a position to start work on said project, during which time my car would have been without said - and desired - protection.

Is that really the plan, guys? Really? Are we thinking?

To the others, (except James, whose contribution I don't quite comprehend (James, are you saying that Silver Arrows stole a car cover and hardtop stand on your behalf? Thankfully you know a good lawyer! ;D)), I'm grateful for the recommendations and will pursue all lines of inquiry.

Separately, if anyone here has an additional, unwanted car cover and would like to swap it for a never used, only thrown once Magimix (2012 model), please do drop me a line. I would imagine we could do a deal.

JH

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

iftykhan

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 19:55:06 »
James, your story very much reminds me of toaster-gate (2009 I think).
Honestly what Divas!!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 22:04:45 »
James,

i have been pondering on your real dilemma and what I would do if I was in your difficult circumstances.  

Initially my suggestion was going to be that you make use of the two flannel sheets that Mrs Howard has probably by now given you to use whilst in the dog house out in the back yard, and try those as great covers for the said Pagoda, however after testing this theory, I realised that the soft top is a bit like a man in the morning before a shave and it insists on taking  a fine layer of ‘fluff’ from the said flannel sheets and holding on to it in such a manner that you then need a roll of sticking tape to be used to remove the said ‘fluff’.  By this time Mrs Howard is probably wondering what on earth you are doing with flannel sheets and a roll of sticking tape and the dog, in the said dog house.

Giving up on Flannel, maybe the answer is to use the finest cotton sheets.  I suggest you now go and buy two 1000 thread count polished cotton Egyption sheets and of course they should be King Size to ensure in the event that they also end up in the said dog house with you, that you have ample cotton sheet to share with your shaggy friend.  May I suggest you buy a double sleeping bag at the same time, I will explain later why.

Now having spent half the family fortune on getting the finest 1000 thread count Egyptian sheets and not wanting Mrs Howard to really know what the hell you are up to, you then take the said sheets to your local Chinese seamstress to have them sewn together. Take them back home in a well concealed bag and on the darkest of nights slip them on to your dearly beloved Pagoda and there you have the most tidiest of solutions to the car cover dilemma.

Now, about that sleeping bag.  Well, if Mrs James spots the sheets on the Pagoda, as a person with the most discerning eye for quality, will immediately recognise that the car cover is made from two of the finest of Egyptian cotton sheets, and that these sheets command the highest of prices, will then suggest that you leave the property, no dog house for you that night, you are banished to the local park bench. So on your way out, grab the sleeping bag that you had earlier procured and that way you are assured of getting the warmest of nights sleeps and just like your beloved Pagoda, you will be the best bedded person sleeping with some of your other missunderstood mates in the park that night.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 22:48:12 »
When I'm eventually evicted, can I come and live with you guys? I've always loved Austria. All those mountains, and goats. The attraction of my own egyptian cotton sheets makes this a really good option for me. And the dog. She has no house. I used it to buffer the axle stands last year whilst changing the diff.

JH

PS, looking forward to a cabby in the Jag!!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 19:12:00 »
James, no need to get evicted. - Go get your own cheap sewing machine and give your wife a weekend at a spa.   

Used sewing machines can be had at garage sales for next to nothing.  They are relatively easy to fix and the old machines can take quite a beating.     I bought a Kenmore for $20 and use it the most as it is simple.   I bought a non working Pfaff 1222 for $20 and $30 in parts she is amazing.  I use her for light webbing and canvas and light upholsltry.   Not having enough range I went out and bought a vintage Singer leather patcher 29K.  This thing will sew through just about anything.   Now I get my wife asking if I can do things for her. 

for a cover - see if you can find some old table clothes - the industrial ones - once sewn together they make an excellent cover. 

Don't tell anyone but .....sitting down with a nice rum and coke, radio playing in the background and a well adjusted sewing machine is a very nice way to pass the time. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X